Starting Somewhere~

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Definitely not trying to steal any spotlight from Tech-Daddy, but I've been thinking over my own custom case.

I work for a company that builds switchboards and breaker panels/racks, for large boats. A couple weeks ago we had a component come in a fiberglass enclosure. The innards were removed and installed onto the large panel being built. I got to looking at the enclosure and an idea hit me. "Man, that'd make a neat computer case." So I asked the boss if I could have it.

As I looked at the case and thought, more and more possibilities and ideas came to mind. The one that stuck though, was doing an "industrial" theme. It's roughly 13"x16"x6". There are already 4 holes cut out from the case, and they match a 90mm fan. The mounting holes don't line up but that's a moot point. There are studs to hold up a backpan; those may be a bit tall. Here's some pictures I took when I brought the enclosure in today.

Talking to my father more and more about it, and he's all for the idea. I asked about either resizing those holes and if it was an option. Not too keen on that, he says he can probably get the same case in brushed alluminium for around ~$20. Most of the parts that I'm thinking of using, I can get at the same price the company pays.

Did a little measuring and testing while typing this up..

I might spring for an 8" deep alluminium box for the final version...

I don't plan on making a "Screamin' Deamon" out of this project, but just having somewhere to start with in modding. It's going to be something that I can put my old Socket A stuff in, and may just turn out to be my sibling's computer when I'm done.

Thought I'd let you guys know, and get some tips/input. ;)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Looking good man! An industrial theme sounds like a good one. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yes, keep up the momentum. I am sure if you ask Tech-Daddy real nice like, he would be more than willing to help you out with advice.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Thanks, and yeah I'm sure I'll need tips and advice from TD as I progress. Right now I'm just thinking about the pieces I want to include that will set it apart. Which options and possibilities are open, and how I can implement my ideas. I don't plan on getting heavily started until the beginning of the year. I've got a trip to Tennessee, and will be up there through New Years.

This has, sparked my imagination, so to speak, and I do want to follow through with it. Thanks for the support guys, always appreciated :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
OOOOOO!!! You lucky dawg!
That case has some great potential! And I am here if you need me!
And, just so that the air is cleared here... this ain't *my* forum... it's *our* forum! You ain't "stealing my spotlight"! It's our light to share bro!
;)

I'm gonna be watching this thing, and thinking about the "hows" and "whats" regarding equipment and placement.

You are going to have fun with this!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Thanks Craig! Like I said, just getting ideas on paper, and looking, measuring. I'll have a better idea of how it'll all go together the longer I think and plan. I do have a few definite ideas, and I'll discuss a couple with you to get some feedback. Thanks for the support man!

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I suggest some water cooling and a window somewhere. Nothing screams pimp mod like florescent tubing.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Oh man, if you only knew. This case is becoming more and more crowded every minute.

That's preliminary spacing. And yes.. that's a gutted PSU. I haven't decided if I'm going to put plexi around it for protection, or leave it as it is, yet.

Right now I'm looking for slim 90mm fans. The inch spacing from the sides is a bit much. If anyone knows where I can find some 90x15 -ish fans, let me know.

I got on the horn with Shuttle about possibly purchasing one of their xpc boards. Something in SFF might free up space. There's nothing for Socket A, and they want $92 for a 754 board. That's more than what I want to spend and I'd have to buy another processor.

The motherboard I have, I hope, will work. The spacing is the only issue.

Tips? Advice?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am getting more and more interested on how this thing is going to turn out. Best of luck.

Also, what exactly are you wanting to do with this? Game? HTPC? Just build a PC in a box? There are many avenues you can go down with mobos and the like. You could save some space and try to find an old notebook 2.5" drive as well as a notebook DVD drive. Of course, then you getting into a money issue. I will see what I can dig up on the 'net.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I don't have the finances to do a "Top of the line", "Beast". Right now it looks as if it's just going to be a basic computer. Like I mentioned before, my brother and sister are probably going to get it. More than likely it'll just end up as their school computer.

Don't think I haven't considered games and the like. It's getting my old 9200 128Mb card. It's no powerhouse, but they aren't into pc games.. yet. My intention is for this to mount on a wall and be supported by the 4 mounting holes. I'd like to end up with a single piece of conduit coming out of the bottom. From that the power and accessories will be plugged in.

I'm not going for "high tech", per se, but functionality is key.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Do a work log. You can do it here on the forums if you would like. I know people will read it and want to get updates.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Looking at the pics, if that is the layout you are angling towards right now, I'd like to ask a few questions.

1) Motherboard ports are facing towards the middle currently, do you plan on turning the board and cutting out a hole for the mobo ports?
2) CD-ROM placement - *definately* going to need a bracket! ;)
3) PSU - I'd recommend putting acrylic between it and anything that could touch it.
4) Maybe instead of putting the mobo on the bottom, bend some acrylic or metal sheet to make a shelf for hte mobo to sit on, while the HD and the CD ROM are below that shelf. Just need ot allow for the CPU Heat sink.

that's all I can think of right now... pretty tired. more later!
;)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
*1 - I'm thinking of running all of the cords through a hole at the bottom and then through a piece of 2" tubing (conduit). There is a usb/sound header I stole from my old case that I'd like to implement into the side for expansion.

*2 - Goto 4

*3 - That's probably what will happen. Don't need any discharge between components.

*4 - I like the idea of mounting the board above the drives, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! I'm getting a backpan for the case next week, but am leaving for TN Wednesday morning. That'll fix the bracket issue.. for the drive at least.The backpan can be steel or alluminum and gets mounted on the 4 case studs.

This backpan is the next issue though. When it's mounted there will be no room around the fans to get to the mounting studs. The only cure to this is raising the fans or cutting the metal. Since the holes on this case can't be changed, the metal will have to be cut. I'll have to add in spacers in locations underneath to help support the pan. The pan is cheap, only around $7-8. If I have to order a second, or third, for the end product it's not a big deal.

Mounting above the drives will also raise the board, and heatsink clearence would be next on the obstacle list. There's some components I'd like to add to the front cover, that will definitely set the case off. They don't protrude deep within the case, but will have to be taken into consideration.

The end result may end up being alluminum. Like I said, using this for a test bed. If everything works out well here, I'll know what, and what not to do in the final case.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've been looking around, and found out about a Mini ITX board. They're roughly 170mm x 170mm and are almost a full feature board. I don't want to resort to buying because they're almost $200. For this case I'm going to leave the fans out of and just make sure it all works properly.

When I get in the final box I will use the 80mm fans. That will allow the most clearance and it's the only size fan I can find with a 15mm depth. There may still be some trimming to be done to the backpan, but it would be less overall. More later I guess.