Star Wars: The Old Republic - First Impressions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It be a glorious day for many people around the world, and I'm not just talking about Christmas here. A game that many have been waiting for has finally arrived, from a galaxy far far away... Star Wars: The Old Republic. The game marks a pivotal moment for BioWare as its first MMORPG, so read on for our initial review.

Read through Jamie's first look at Star Wars: The Old Republic, and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Very nice impressions mate! :D

Just one question about MMOs that I have: Can I play it solely as an RPG and NOT as an 'MMO'RPG?!? Like, just the story and single player?!? I dont care about the multiplayer aspects or teaming up with anyone. just me me me me me me me! :D

I have always assumed its mandatory to play it multiplayer and I cant play it solely as SP! So I would like this to be cleared up for me! :D

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
You don't need to team up with people, they will still be there in chat, and you will see them run by, but you can play the game and most of the quests as single player, summoning different companions helps too. Still need to pay for the subscription though.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
You don't need to team up with people, they will still be there in chat, and you will see them run by, but you can play the game and most of the quests as single player, summoning different companions helps too. Still need to pay for the subscription though.

When u say 'most', does that mean there r story driven quests requiring teaming up!?? I just want the SP aspect! lol! :D

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
There are quests targeted at multiplayer, Heroics and Flashpoints in this case, these are 2 and 4 man teams. Some of the Heroics can be done solo if you have the gear and skill to pull them off, part of what makes it a challenge. Some of the main story quests also throw a number of challenges at you, but often provide 'environmental assistance' - if you catch my drift.

SWTOR offers a very compelling story and single player experience, but it IS designed to be an MMO.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Space Fights are awesome... really, I've done this same mission 10 times in a row, and it's still fun, recorded one of my earlier attempts at it. Dodging asteroids the size of.... well... asteroids, while trying to blow everything up that moves can get a little tense in places.

Watch in fullscreen, you know you want to: http://youtu.be/GVmYCeJY0ss

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
^ 1080p is 188MB so it'll be sometime to complete the download! :D

EDIT: Awesome dude! Cant Wait!! :D

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
With ALOT of thanx to Rainmotorsports, I will soon be Starting my Starwars Saga! :D

Its downloading as of now, 24hrs more to go! Subscribed for the 180 day subscription and upgraded to the Digital Deluxe Edition! Waiting for the download to complete and then I'll be off!! *Jump damn it JUMP!!*

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, haha. Talk about a mammoth download :D

Have fun man, looking forward to your thoughts on the game.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Spent 3 hrs on the Role Playing Server and it was fun! Leveling up and getting new Force Powers is what makes it really cool to play, lvl 5 already! :)

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Lvl 12 Sith Warrior! Been helping out my fellow Sith with the Heroic Quests! Man i LOVE THIS GAME!!! Gonna get me a Lightsaber next! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What's the max level in the game? 50 like in most other new MMOs?

Watched a video review of the game the other day, looks pretty solid.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, I'm good. I gave my copy away to someone! ;)

Seriously, I play two MMOs now, I sure don't need another :D

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
MMO's are so addictive. They may be the most addictive games. One could probably waste one's whole life inside a virtual world.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
MMO's are so addictive. They may be the most addictive games. One could probably waste one's whole life inside a virtual world.

I am soooo Addicted to this game! The Sith Warrior story line is soo cool! Sith Juggernaut lvl 31 now! :D

Uni starts tomorrow and all i want to do is just eat, shit, sleep and play TOR!! :(