Star Wars: The Old Republic Allows Free-To-Play Option This Fall

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
In a move many arguably saw coming, Bioware's often criticized first MMO title will be enabling a Free-To-Play option, sometime in the coming autumn. For the most part, the details are rather thin, but a general outline of both the Subscriber-based and Free-based systems have been outlined on the SWTOR website. While many see this as a great opportunity, there are just as many concerned over the move, myself included.

swtor_free_080112.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I admit I find this a little sad, not because I cared about the game, but because it seems like the P2P MMOs are a dying breed. Of course, Bioware didn't do itself any favors with this game. Many who were in love with it at launch were fully realizing all of its problems within weeks, and for a brand-new MMO, that means death.

This game was supposed to "make up for" Galaxies, but it doesn't look like that's ever going to happen. In some games, I don't mind the F2P implementation, but the one here is just... stupid. Raids just for those who subscribe? Locking off content like that and selling it as micro-transactions strikes me as a little too odd - but hey, I guess they gotta earn money somehow.

A pity anyway, this game had massive potential.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well it did make up for Galaxies in many ways, especially where story was concerned, but the flexibility that Galaxies players became very accustom to were missing and in many ways took away what made that game great for so many.

As a SWTOR player from day 1 and beta, I know I said on the beta forums that the end game content wasn't getting the attention it should have because there were bugs even at level 30, but again the developer didn't listen to this and a majority of the end game content was unplayable. The game was polished for the starting area's, mainly the areas that reviewers get to and say that's enough. I played 2 months after release and finally I said I had enough, too much was broke to fix in a short period of time so I gave up.

Raids just for those who subscribe? Locking off content like that and selling it as micro-transactions strikes me as a little too odd - but hey, I guess they gotta earn money somehow.

They do this for DCUO and I am certain it will happen for Planetside 2 as well. It isn't as uncommon as you might think.

EDIT: I forgot STO does the same thing as well.

Last edited:

Big Red Machine

Hellfire and Brimstone
Staff member
I love me some Star Wars, but I just can't justify paying money to buy the game, then paying more money to be allowed to keep on playing the game. The monthly subscription model was the deal breaker for me.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I am loving it atm! Don't know what bugs u guys r or were having! I now have a lvl 50 Juggernaut, Mercenary and Guardian.. with a lvl 40 Assassin and a lvl 17 Commando(Best Class story yet imo)! :)

Love doing HardMode Flashpoints and Operations, have yet to encounter a bug which would make me go away or anything, its an MMO, it will take time to become almost bug free if not completely bug free! :D

I hope F2P doesn't kill it though! :(