SSD News: Firmware Update Edition

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It seems just about everyone has begun 2012 by releasing firmware updates; as usual many are to resolve those pesky, newly discovered BSoD problems that have plagued just about every SSD at one time or another. Here’s a short summary of recently announced firmware updates for Crucial m4, Samsung 830, and OCZ Octane users.

crucial_m4_012012.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Saw this today, was pretty appalled really. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

Out of the first ~30 verified owner reviews, nearly 2/3rds had one (or multiple) drives die on them. And that was just out of the most recent entries. There's a horror thread on FatWallet where some users bought a half dozen and had multiple failures, or four failures in a row. That's just way too many issues even accounting for PEBKAC.

No Intel, D'oh! :(

Why do ya say that? If anything no news is good news unless there's yet some new problem with Intel drivesI haven't heard about yet... That 8MB bug really trashed their stellar user reviews for them as it was.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Saw this today, was pretty appalled really. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

Out of the first ~30 verified owner reviews, nearly 2/3rds had one (or multiple) drives die on them. And that was just out of the most recent entries. There's a horror thread on FatWallet where some users bought a half dozen and had multiple failures, or four failures in a row. That's just way too many issues even accounting for PEBKAC.

What the? What on earth could be causing those sorts of issues?

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Why do ya say that? If anything no news is good news unless there's yet some new problem with Intel drivesI haven't heard about yet... That 8MB bug really trashed their stellar user reviews for them as it was.

Lol! U r right! My Bad! :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
What the? What on earth could be causing those sorts of issues?

I wish I knew. If you remember OCZ (as with half the industry) switched from 34nm to 25nm NAND in the middle of the SF-1200 heyday, and all the problems seem to originate with the new 25nm NAND drives. People that have owned the 2010 drives which used 34nm NAND still have working V2's.... so I'm going to have to guess the NAND has something to do with this. Either some really crappy quality NAND, or something during the manufacturing changed...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A problematic SSD like this should be taken off the shelves, then. It's not right to keep selling them since it benefits no one (OCZ is just going to have to deal with more returns if the bulk of them are indeed problematic).