Square Enix wants a three-way race

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Article located here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158660.html

Sounds interesting, though PS3 is getting quite the boost with the FF titles. Of course I'm actually liking the titles for the Wii better. So who knows. Kingdom Hearts will be a tough one, as I'm sure Sony will be putting a lot of pressure on for that title having already owned the first two. But who knows. ^^

I'm actually looking forward to this console war, its been long coming since the good ol'days between nintendo and sega. :)

leecho7

Partition Master
Ah, Nintendo vs Sega. I've always been a Nintendo fan, and will probably always be a Nintendo fan. Don't have my Wii reserved, but I heard Nintendo is releasing a bunch of them to meet the demands of the holiday season. So I'm not too worried.
It would be interesting to see what each company does to spark the interests of consumers. So far, I'd have to agree with you with the Nintendo Wii. Not only is the gimmick interesting, it's also the cheapest of the three.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I think ill wait for the Wii Lite to come out before i buy one...

Personally i sat back and thought of nintendo's marketing strategy...

1. release product.

2. Have a add-on for initial product. (this time it is the nunchuck) *this may come free with a game. But how free is it when they charge extra for that game?

3. Release another add-on

4. Re Release the initial product and make it incompatible with the first add-on

5. After a few weeks or a month release a repackaged and designed version of the first add-on...

Come to think of it... Nintendo's FU#% EM IN THE A$$ idea of marketing really sux...

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Wh-what?

You've got to be talking about the controllers. A nunchuck comes with the Wii standard. If you want the retro controller that's different. But it's no different than M$ or Sony selling wireless controllers or dvd remotes. The controllers and nunchucks are all seperate purchases, just like what the other companies are doing.

I really think a nunchuck should come with each Wii-mote, but just opinion.

As far as the newer add-ons not being backwards compatible.. What? It'd cost more to produce multiple non-compatible hardware, than it would to have extra features work with the existing platform.

Anywho, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, and I don't care which console is better. It's all a digital-penis race, and the only winners are the big corporations.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Anywho, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, and I don't care which console is better. It's all a digital-penis race, and the only winners are the big corporations.

Apparently you don't game much on consoles sir...

I would have to strongly disagree with you when you say that only large corporations win, unless by winning you mean making an unholy amount of money, then yes, they win. I have never made a dime off of any console that I have ever owned so perhaps I have lost the battle for digital-penis hill.

I have however had many, MANY, great nights/days/whatevers, where I have played a lot and enjoyed it greatly. This is with and without anyone around to enjoy it with me so I wouldn't say that no one wins. If you enjoy it, and can afford it, then wii all win.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Apparently you don't game much on consoles sir...

Absolutely correct!

I own a N64, Gamecube, and PS2, which I had to buy for myself, but they're all packed away. No doubt the fun had alone, or with others, is a treat and increases comraderie. I loved Goldeneye, Super Smash Brothers, and the NFS games I have.

Nowadays, though, there isn't much I want for the consoles that I can't get for PC. Which is a better platform anyway. And no, there aren't many times where I go over to a friends to play video games...

I was more pointing to the costs involved than anything.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
PC gaming is only cheaper than consoles if you steal the software you are playing.

To me, both consoles and PC gaming is great. Need for Speed, for instance, I'd much rather play on a console. Big tv, great controller... it's great experience.

Really, neither the PC nor consoles will be "better" than the other. Ever play sports games on a PC? It's a pain in the ass to configure and never actually feels smooth. But then there's FPS, which are far better on PC thanks to wicked control and sharper graphics.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Ive had a far better time playing the orig halo on an Xbox than I have ever had playing BF2 or BF1942 of BF2042 on a pc. But that just my personal exp.