Square charges too damn much for mobile games

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"As of now, it's only got a Japanese pricing of ¥1800 ($21.77), but we expect it'll cost about $17.99 when it launches Stateside."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/09/final-fantasy-iv-ios/

We're talking Final Fantasy IV (aka US: Final Fantasy 2) for nearly $20. That's just ridiculous. Yes, these are upgraded games, but they've been available on other platforms for a while. One would assume porting them over wouldn't be -that- complicated. If Square charged $5 or even $10 for this game, it'd sell a LOT more. Most people wouldn't think of splurging $20 on a single game in an ecosystem where sub-$5 games are extremely common.

The same goes for Final Fantasy 3 (not originally released in the US), which it released a while ago. I can see that Square is going through some financial difficulties, but I can't fathom that overcharging for a game is going to help things too much. At least, I wouldn't pay $15 - $20 for them, but I'd be game for $10. And that's pushing it, given I could run them through an emulator otherwise.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Your a little late on the complaining :p

I don't think you would have much fun playing the DS FF3 on a phone, it was bad enough playing it on the DS. Being its nothing like the original NES release and there was no GBA port because it was "Too Large".

Yeah I am buying them anyways just because and I already did the whole GBA/DS play through of the available titles. I am just dumb like that though.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I owned FF3 on the DS and FF1 on the PSP and didn't mind them at all. I don't mobile game on a phone unless I am super-desperate, but instead stick to the tablet for all that. The lack of real buttons sucks, but these are simple 2D RPGs that don't rely on quick reflexes.

I still think $20 is too much. Sure, I paid more than that for the DS and PSP versions, but that was before the mobile explosion. Square is simply porting these over, it's not like they are a brand-new release. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I'm sure not paying $20 to play a game I already own twice or three times across other platforms.