Soul Calibur IV

Naish

E.M.I.
Anyone else get a chance to try it yet? I'd recommend you rent it before rushing out and buying it.

The game's essentially the same thing you've played in the previous games with some Star Wars exclusives that you'll likely never end up using. Personally I found this to be one of the most frustrating fighting games I've ever played as the AI is determined to piss you off as much as possible. The character creation system on the other hand, makes up for most of the single player games faults. Lots of equipment and weapons to choose from.

Graphically, well, it's not bad, but it's not one of those games that will wow you. Online play is a ton of fun, and I often find I'm fighting characters from other video games due to the amount of customization available. I've seen Cloud, Sephiroth, Leonidas, The Hulk, Altair, Snake, and those are just the popular ones so far(I've probably missed a bunch, haven't played online in the past 2 days).

I will say that the game is highly overrated, I wouldn't give it anything higher than an 8/10 if I was scoring it. For the genre, it's great, but as a game in general, well, fighting games are pretty limited, and it's hard to give them 9s and 10s because I just find you get bored too fast.

Pros:
Online play is excellent, rarely will you find it lagging
Character creation is amazing
Lots of unlockables to keep you hooked for at least a few weeks.

Cons:
AI was clearly made to make you not want to play anymore. (Challenge VS Pissoff)
Controls feel a little clunky, the game assumes you have an arcade controller and thus you have to translate buttons. (A/B/K/G yea that's great, show me on MY controller)
Announcer is stupid, I don't care if it's the crown jewel of the series

I've been thinking about picking up the game, but to be honest I was never a huge fan of the previous ones. I'm sure it's a deep fighting game, but I'm certain it'll end up on the shelf in no time.