Sony Vita vs. Nintendo Wii U: Which is More Impressive?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
E3 doesn't end until Thursday, but it can be assumed that all of the "big" announcements have already been made, since it's rare for any company to make a late-week announcement after the initial excitement begins to die down. On day one, Sony announced its PSP successor, the Vita, and on day two, Nintendo took the veil off of its Wii U. While both are different in overall goal and design, they've become embroiled in a Internet-wide versus battle. Which is better?

playstation_vita_060711_01_thumb.jpg

nintendo_wiiiiiiii_060711_02.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
At this point it is hard for me to get excited about either in any ecstatic way because what it comes down to is all about the content and really there isn't much to show at a press release like E3. There is so much that is subject to change also not just on the hardware side but also on the software side as well and that it makes hard to say "I WANT THAT ONE SANTA!" If you look at the PS3 is theoretically superior to the 360 as far as performance but you have to know what you are doing with it, the same is going to be true with these devices. If they can't get the hardware to succeed then it's just gonna fall flat on many titles but have that one that is a diamond in the rough, like God of War 3.

There is another other point and that is they have two different audiences Nintendo has been about Kids and casual where Sony has been about young adults to mature. It will be interesting to see if Sony stays on that hard nose mature line or push for more casual gaming to try and compete with Nintendo's DS a little more head on.

I just right now think it's a little early to start looking at who could be the best performer when the meat, bones and etc (the games) that will carry those units haven't really come out of the gate yet, most notably 3rd party. Especially when we don't know for sure what direction Sony is going.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The Wii U just screams Nintendo Own The Gaming World in terms of innovation, even if they do have pre-schoolers thinking up the names. A friend at work said, "Shouldn't it be called the Us?"

I do agree with Kayden though. It's all going to come down to support and what they both will add overall initially and in the future. There really won't be any lack of support for Nintendo though, especially from their own in house development teams and 3rd parties, if they're smart and look at past sales on the Wii.

marfig

No ROM battery
Of course, that leads to the important question that must be begged... which one of these are you more excited about?

Not really excited about either. But can bet on my daughters soon begging me to replace their PSP for the Vita.

Also, agree the Wii U and the Vita aren't comparable in the least. One's even a controller while the other is a console. That said, sure one can be more excited about one over the other, I'd just consider at this point the Wii U the most interesting development of the two, whereas the Vita the most practical.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
There really won't be any lack of support for Nintendo though, especially from their own in house development teams and 3rd parties, if they're smart and look at past sales on the Wii.

I'm going to beg to differ (You'll see why either later today or Friday) - I think Nintendo's actual support for the Wii (and especially third-party) support sucked donkey balls. :( It makes me very worried for the Wii U, particularly for capturing the market it is really designed for.