Sony Acquires Cloud Gaming Provider Gaikai for $380 Million

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Cloud gaming has scored a major success today, with Sony announcing that it will be acquiring leading provider Gaikai for a staggering $380 million. With that sort of value, Sony has proven that cloud gaming has a strong future, much like Netflix proved with video. The acquisition will no doubt lead to a new or integrated PlayStation product, but now the speculation begins to guess whether Sony might be planning a separate cloud gaming console, or integrate support into the PS4.

gaikai_logo_070212.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Streaming online games are not the future, especially when isp's impose caps then throttle bandwidth or their network program reads this traffic as malicious and cut off your or seriously throttle your bandwidth to DSL speeds (WoW and a Canadian ISP for this if you don't believe me). They are just looking for more cost cuts methods for the company and not considering the limitations and restrictions for the majority of their customers, which is bull. Enter Error 37 for every one! Seriously I hate this idea and always online required for games, just a stupid fucking idea all around.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I could see a time when the government has to step in to get rid of these bandwidth caps, for reasons like this. The fact is, we're living in a bandwidth heavy society, so caps need to become a thing of the past.

That said, I can never see myself playing games this way, but the fact is, people will. I also couldn't imagine playing a game like Call of Duty on a console but... well, it's obvious which platform is the dominant one for games like that =/

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I could see a time when the government has to step in to get rid of these bandwidth caps, for reasons like this. The fact is, we're living in a bandwidth heavy society, so caps need to become a thing of the past.

That said, I can never see myself playing games this way, but the fact is, people will. I also couldn't imagine playing a game like Call of Duty on a console but... well, it's obvious which platform is the dominant one for games like that =/

Well the American Gov is looking into the Caps, mainly cause Netflix is crying fowl when these ISP's claim that it's their fault they had to implement it cause it is sucking up their bandwidth, but it's been proven over and over that Netflix doesn't take up as much bandwidth as they claim. I really hope something comes of this, cause this is an issue that we should never have to face as a customer. Especially when they keep rising our rates every year we should have the right to find more affordable ways to have our entertainment brought to us.

http://www.neowin.net/news/justice-department-reportedly-looking-into-broadband-caps

I agree I don't want to play that way either, but it's happening and will continue to happen, which proves how stupid the masses can be when it comes to being informed and standing up for their rights. UGH.