Sonic Adventure on XBLA!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I miss my Dreamcast. Easily well a head of anything at the time but crap support even from the creating company.

So sad. I still have my copy of Shenmue and my memory card. One of these days I'll pick up another Dreamcast.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I miss my Dreamcast. Easily well a head of anything at the time but crap support even from the creating company.

So sad. I still have my copy of Shenmue and my memory card. One of these days I'll pick up another Dreamcast.

I LOVED my Dreamcast! Played Sonic Adventure and Armada all the time! I need to get another one...

And BTW, this isn't the original Sonic Adventure..it's Sonic Adventure DX, the original didn't grade you for the action stages, but this one does.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I LOVED my Dreamcast! Played Sonic Adventure and Armada all the time! I need to get another one...

Crimson, you and Optix are in good company. Rob and I have had many a nostalgic talks of one of the best consoles ever created. I still have mine hooked up and play it occasionally when I want to get my old school Resident Evil fix.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
This is quite off topic but another great system was the Saturn. Again, way above anything else except maybe the 3DO (Dragon Force and Mr. Bones FTW!) but garbage support from 3rd party developers and even Sega. It's like they wanted to fail.

I remember cuffing class to go to the arcade down on Water Street called Sharks. Rob may or may not remember this depending on how much older/younger he is or whether he was a good egg. We used to dump tons of money into Daytona so when the Dreamcast was released with this as a bundle I was so ramped!

Anyway, I keep seeing Dreamcasts on eBay. Maybe one day after my son is grown up and gone I'll shell out $500 on one because they'll be so rare by then and partake in some 20+ year old gaming goodness.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I always try to debate with myself whether I liked the SNES or Dreamcast more, but I think in the end, I lean more towards the latter. I don't even know if I can explain it. At the time of its release, it just excited me a LOT, and in particular is was Sonic Adventure that first got me drooling over the console. After that though, the good games just kept coming. Rush 2049 is another particular favorite of mine. I still own like 50 DC games, and I forget most of them since I haven't had the console hooked up in a while.

I never heard of Sharks, but I used to live on the west side so I wouldn't have been close to it. To be honest, we've never had many good arcades, but that one sounds pretty good. Wish I saw it.

I agree on the Saturn though, it was a great console. Sadly, I only own a Japanese version, so I have limited games (only own like 10). Nights never gets old. I gotta get a US console sometime that way I can increase the number of games I can play with it. And you know, games I can understand.

Where on earth do you see Dreamcasts on eBay for $500? I had a quick look and see lots for well under $100, games included. I almost feel like picking up a second one in case my primary ever decides to die.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I think with the dreamcast, the real clinch for me was internet access... it was the first console to give you access to the internet... and boy did i take advantage of that.... much to the delight of the phone company (£200 phone bills... not fun). I mean, i didn't have a PC at the time, so my dreamcast was my only access to the internet, and it amazed me and others when i spoke to them online using it. Then of course there were the three epic creations that were Shenmue, Soul Calibur and Phantasy Star Online... PSO... dear lord, i spent over 1000 hours on that over both versions... 300 online at least. I even have the DC Keyboard... yup, pure dedication (read: addiction).

The fact Sega pulled the plug is just so bizarre, and it still saddens me, it was canned before its peak (or at it). What makes me even more sad is that i over-used mine, and it suffered VGA failure (quite common). Maybe if i apply some PS3 fixing techniques like a heat gun over the chip, i might breath new life into it, but i doubt i could bring myself to play it again, for fear of loosing another year of my life to gaming..... just wish they released the Ethernet adapter in the UK....

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Where on earth do you see Dreamcasts on eBay for $500? I had a quick look and see lots for well under $100, games included. I almost feel like picking up a second one in case my primary ever decides to die.
What I meant was by the time I actually have enough free time to warrant picking one up they'll probably be so rare that they will cost a small fortune.

Sharks was pretty good. Daytona, VirtuaFighter...even Golden Axe! I had my kick ass '93 Umbro jacket stolen from there though. Buggers!
IThen of course there were the three epic creations that were Shenmue, Soul Calibur and Phantasy Star Online... PSO... dear lord, i spent over 1000 hours on that over both versions... 300 online at least. I even have the DC Keyboard... yup, pure dedication (read: addiction).
You're preaching to the choir brother. I played Soul Caliber inside and out, I still own my copy of Shenmue and my memory card with the saved games on it, one of which has all events listed in the notebook and I put just as much time in Phantasy Star Online. I had my Force leveled all the way up with some pretty bangin' gear until some punk with a GameShark player swapped me and stole my character and all gear. Sega really dropped the ball on that one. After that happened I stopped playing. I remember they launched a pay to play version, PSO v.2 where you had to pay in order keep douche bags with a GameShark from doing the same.

Oh, and accessories? I had the keyboard, one of the numerous guns, the ethernet adapter AND the little box that lets you run it through your monitor although at that time I had a crappy 14" CRT.

Oh Sega...where did things go wrong?

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member

24sy5e8

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
OH! I nearly forgot the most time spent playing a Dreamcast game. Fur Fighters. hahaha. That game was so ridiculous but SO much fun. You played as various stuffed animals, who had their babies stolen by the villain General Viggo. So what do you do? Don weapons and go fight to get your babies back! When you shoot someone or get shot, you see stuffing fly out of the wound, and when you die, the screen says "you fluffed." At one point in your journey to get your babies back you even go to "The Bad Place" a.k.a. hell. lol. at that point all your enemies are skeleton stuffed animals..and stuffing still flies out when you shoot them.

I did find a very frustrating glitch that made me have to start aaaaall over again, but it happened again. It's nearly at the end of the game in The Bad Place. I'm walking along a cliffside when all of a sudden I lose control of my character and he walks right off the cliff. o_O happened every time after I beat the game originally. lol

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Optix said:

Sega has made some stupid decisions, like with the copious number of add-ons for the Genesis, but the Dreamcast was different. It wasn't some cheap gimmicky console... it offered a ton of great games and had graphics on par with the PlayStation 2... if not even better. I remember taking a look at Shenmue when it first came out and knew that nothing on the PS2 could even compete. The Dreamcast was capable of a lot.

I swear, I need to dig that thing out of my closet and hook it up, and find all my games, haha.

TheCrimsonStar said:
OH! I nearly forgot the most time spent playing a Dreamcast game. Fur Fighters. hahaha.

That's one game I actually didn't ever try, but it looked like quite a bit of fun.

I'd have to say my DC top 10 would have to be:

Border Down
Crazy Taxi
Dead or Alive 2
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Giga Wing 2
Grandia II
Jet Grind Radio
MagForce Racing
Re-Volt (was a PC game also)
San Francisco Rush 2049
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Sonic Adventure
Soulcalibur
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (Also for PC, but a fun racer)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
Vigilante 8: Second Offense

That's only 10, right? Since SA came to XBLA (and now PSN), I'm hoping to see more games come out soon. It's been rumored that Jet Grind Radio is supposed to see a release through such services, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's going to prove true. That game was epic.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Chu-Chu Rocket.... Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Marvel Vs Capcom 2. Still, the most time i spent was with Soul Calibur and PSO.... way too much time with PSO.

Did anyone actually play or use the memory cards? lol. I think the most use i had out of them was the health gauge for resident evil. Nice idea, but they were expensive and had 30mins of battery life, lol... CR2032 batteries, typical.

Now i've just remembered the loads of time i spent on the Master System... Alex Kid... dear me....

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While we are on the subject...

Shenmue
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Tee Off (possibly the most enjoyable golf game ever)
Soul Calibur
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Sega GT
NFL 2K1
World Series Baseball 2K2 (used to play that online, dial up style)

I miss you Dreamcast. I miss you so much. The only games I still have left are Shenmue and the Resident Evil trio. Christ that was an awesome system and emulators just don't do it justice. Oh, my VMU had a pot leave icon on it. Thank you Sega for allowing that to be one of the stock pics to choose from.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Thanks to Shenmue I'm knocking around the idea of buying or at least borrowing an XBox so I can play the sequel. Too bad Shenmue III won't see the light of day any time soon.