So... this is interesting. A $210 4TB hard drive

madmat

Soup Nazi
I was just looking through the latest MicroCenter ad and there's a 4TB Deskstar in it for $229. Since Hitachi is now a WD subsidiary it looks like Seagate is only undercutting them by $19.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Geeze I know how it is right now but I would have thought 210 to be pretty fair for 4 TB. I picked up a USB 3 Toshiba in 3 GB trim for 120. I hated going external but 90 bucks for an extra terabyte seems par for the current scheme.

Sucks the mechanical storage is fighting limits like never before.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Bwahahah seagate? You mean that company that every large drive has reviews saying they failed in a ridiculously short period of time? No thanks I would take Hitachi or WD any day over a Seagate.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That is a remarkably fair price for a 4TB drive... bit over 5 cents a GB. That must mean those 5TB drives I heard about will be launching sooner rather than later... eta was this year.

Bwahahah seagate? You mean that company that every large drive has reviews saying they failed in a ridiculously short period of time? No thanks I would take Hitachi or WD any day over a Seagate.

I'd say the opposite, but to each their own. :D

Got a Seagate 320GB in my rig right now that literally has over 4 years of power-on time. I'm now using it as a scratch disk for downloads, but it used to be one of the four in my NAS... none of which I have yet to have an issue with either.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
A Seagate drive I just replaced, 1TB, had something like 38,000 hours on it, and it was still chugging along. Replaced it with a beefier drive, not because it died.

madmat

Soup Nazi
My 7200.9 500 gig Seagates either had a suicide pact or it was murder/suicide because both went tits up within a week of each other. On the other hand my TEN YEAR OLD WD with over 43,000 hours of uptime has never given me any real trouble aside from breaking the tab under the data cable plug. I did that 9 years ago.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My 7200.9 500 gig Seagates either had a suicide pact or it was murder/suicide because both went tits up within a week of each other. On the other hand my TEN YEAR OLD WD with over 43,000 hours of uptime has never given me any real trouble aside from breaking the tab under the data cable plug. I did that 9 years ago.

I remember you had that issue like five years ago, too. I had it happen last year to a freaking 240GB SSD. It wasn't a good day.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master

Poll every person on the planet and you will find plenty of numbers from WD failures to match Seagates. Hard drives fail period.

I have had terrible luck with WD. 250 and 500 GB from the same generation lasted about 6 months (Back on my Pentium 4 each one was bought when they became available). My 1 TB hasn't died per say but its failed as far as specifications for failure goes. I use it for redundant backup storage.

4 new large Seagate drives in this machine lasted the year so far. My 2 320 GB (7200.3?) laptop drives survived their 3 years and now get hammered every day as a Raid for recording game play. I have a few more laying around in various service.

In the last 6 years I had a single 120 GB seagate fail in a laptop after 3 years, it wasn't mine at that point. Prior to that point I was a Maxtor fan but they bought up my least favorite brand Quantum and then themselves got bought up.

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Poll every person on the planet and you will find plenty of numbers from WD failures to match Seagates. Hard drives fail period.

I have had terrible luck with WD. 250 and 500 GB from the same generation lasted about 6 months (Back on my Pentium 4 each one was bought when they became available). My 1 TB hasn't died per say but its failed as far as specifications for failure goes. I use it for redundant backup storage.

4 new large Seagate drives in this machine lasted the year so far. My 2 320 GB (7200.3?) laptop drives survived their 3 years and now get hammered every day as a Raid for recording game play. I have a few more laying around in various service.

In the last 6 years I had a single 120 GB seagate fail in a laptop after 3 years, it wasn't mine at that point. Prior to that point I was a Maxtor fan but they bought up my least favorite brand Quantum and then themselves got bought up.

I've had 10 WD drives, out of those 3 have failed. I've had 4 Seagate drives, out of those 2 have failed. I'll stick with a 30% failure rate versus a 50% failure rate, thanks.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I've had 10 WD drives, out of those 3 have failed. I've had 4 Seagate drives, out of those 2 have failed. I'll stick with a 30% failure rate versus a 50% failure rate, thanks.

Right but you also have an unbalanced sample size. Theoretically I could buy 1,000 from either brand and have every single one of them fail on the same day. Statistically unlikely but possible non the less.

Hard drive failures are scary not just because of expense but because of data loss. But their are plenty of minefields out there. Power Supplies and Motherboards seem like the worst to me. We all make our choices based on our experiences, instincts and data on hand. Can't fault anyone for sticking with what has worked.

My preference for Maxtor started on my 486dx2 when I had a 512mb Maxtor and a 2 GB Quantum Fireball. Got the click of death and being a kid back then didn't check which drive it was. Made a bad assumption and moved (keyword is moved) the 50 mb of important data to the 2 GB drive and it died a few days later. Dumb reason to trust Maxtor but never had a failure with them after that either.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It may not be a balanced sample size, but it's his personal experience and that isn't going to change the fast Madmat has had better experience with WD drives than with Seagate. And that's fine, any tech enthusiast is likely to have strong opinions based on their own unique experience. :D

Just as it won't change the fact that one WD drive I bought began acting erratically and causing blue screens within a year. The RMA'd replacement began doing the exact same thing a year after that. Back when electronic stores sold HDDs at cost under rebates to lure in customers I used to buy them and flip them on eBay for extra hardware funds... I've had a buyer from one retail model WD ask me a year later what to do because the NIB WD drive I sold him had died, just outside its 1 year warranty. All HDDs eventually will die, but having so many die around 12 motnhs like clockwork soured me fast on Western Digital Blue drives.

For that reason if people are brand specific to WD I'll tell them to get the Blacks, which are built better and have a 5 year warranty to match, but users pay more for them too. Everyone has their own firsthand experience with drives... I can distinctly recall models where Seagate had problems, and models where WD had problems. None of 'em are perfect. But if someone buys ANY brand HDD with a 1-year warranty, I think they're just asking for trouble. :D

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Exactly, the 1 year warranty really bothers me especially on something with such a large capacity. It also speaks to me as here have this junk and if it lasts more then the 1st year hurray for you. On the other hand drives with 3-5 years seem to say hey buy us we will last because we are quality drives. That's just my feeling, if you cant stand behind it for more than a year that seems to say you know the drive has a large failure rate after a year.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Don't buy retail WD drives. The OEM versions have 3 year warranties while the retail versions only carry a 1 year. Don't ask me why but that's the way they do it.

marfig

No ROM battery
Which leads us to the initial post on this thread: 2 year warranty? Hmm, no thanks.

If this was a well known model with an on-sale price tag and a reduction in warranty to keep their loses(?) to a minimum, perhaps. But an entire new model? Too risky. 200 USD is still a lot of money. Today even buys you a 5 year-warranty SSD.