So, I'm buying a PC..

madmat

Soup Nazi
Unfortunately I can only choose from the parts they let me, and I really don't care about the noise to be perfectly honest. And I have no plans to go triple cards in this machine.

So I have a limited number of options and this seemed to get the best reviews.

You'll care about the noise when it kills your parts but it's your baby. I'm not talking about audible sound noise I'm talking dirty power noise, kills PC parts in time noise, noise that you, in all honesty, should care very much about.

To be perfectly honest, I would get it sans a PSU and buy and install one myself rather than use the OCZ. The Tagan 1100W would be a much better alternative even though it gets noisy (power noise) when pushed, it'll do about 1000W cleanly whereas that OCZ won't do 700W clean.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, sadly, while OCZ has made some great products over the years, their PSU's have suffered to some degree. PSU's are a difficult thing to master, and it really helps to have someone on staff who really knows the ins and outs of the products. I am not sure OCZ has someone like that there.

I'm still waiting for my PSU to kill my stuff though. If it happens, just more of an excuse to upgrade again.

;-)

You'll care about the noise when it kills your parts but it's your baby. I'm not talking about audible sound noise I'm talking dirty power noise, kills PC parts in time noise, noise that you, in all honesty, should care very much about.

To be perfectly honest, I would get it sans a PSU and buy and install one myself rather than use the OCZ. The Tagan 1100W would be a much better alternative even though it gets noisy (power noise) when pushed, it'll do about 1000W cleanly whereas that OCZ won't do 700W clean.

I will get the Tagan 1100w then, that is in the choices available. Problem solved =)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yeah, sadly, while OCZ has made some great products over the years, their PSU's have suffered to some degree. PSU's are a difficult thing to master, and it really helps to have someone on staff who really knows the ins and outs of the products. I am not sure OCZ has someone like that there.

I'm still waiting for my PSU to kill my stuff though. If it happens, just more of an excuse to upgrade again.

;-)

I don't think that you load your system fully enough for long enough for it to be a problem. You don't game on it while doing rendering or encoding/decoding.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Trust me, my load is huge. Don't worry about that.

That aside, my PC wouldn't even hit 400W full load, I'm not worried even if this thing topped out at 401W.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Well, you have an advantage, you use Linux which is way more efficient of an OS so there's not as much overhead even when doing the same tasks. Save the earth, save energy, use an alternative OS.

Okay so next dilema, don't know which would be better for me in terms of pure performance. I plan to OC abit, not alot but enough to see a minor difference. And I plan on playing alot and leaving the computer on almost non-stop. So between these coolers:

Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Cooler
Thermaltake MaxOrb
CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System
Asetek Liquid LGA775 CPU Cooling System
Titan Amanda TTC-NP04TZ - LGA775 TEC CPU Cooling System

Thanks alot for the help so far guys. And take a look at other posts to see what case if that will make a difference.

For ease of use and ownership I say the Big Typhoon hits the spot.

Okay so that will deffinately be better than the Thermaltake MaxOrb?

And when buying this should I order some Artic silver (correct name?) to replace the original paste?

Now time to find a nice cheap gaming keyboard+ mouse for under £70.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure about the cooler, but you might want to pick up some Tuniq thermal paste if that place has any in stock. It's apparently beating everything on the market by a couple degrees.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I am not sure about the cooler, but you might want to pick up some Tuniq thermal paste if that place has any in stock. It's apparently beating everything on the market by a couple degrees.

Yeah, Tuniq TX2 is non conductive and sets up faster than Artic Silver5.
The reason it is cheaper is because Silver 5 is 99% silver and Tuniq has a new formula.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm still partial to Zalman's STG1. It might not be as great of a performer as the competition, but its super-easy applicator makes my job so much easier when swapping CPUs all the time. It applies like nail polish and comes off easy as well. I love it.