Slim Devices Squeezebox

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wireless is now, so why not include your music within the realm of this amazing technology? That's what Slim Devices is out to do with their Squeezebox. Not only can it wirelessly deliver music to anywhere in your home, it's also finely tuned with the Rhapsody music service for the ability to listen to even more music. It can even handle lossless audio formats!

You can read Gregs full review here!

:techgage:

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Actually, Burr-Brown DACs aren't all that common, but they're a high-end part. It's obvious that Slim Devices was concerned with audio quality as well. The Squeezebox looks fantastic; I want one. Right now, I've just got a separate machine hooked up to my stereo components, with an Audigy card.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Oh wow! That's an awesome product. Eliminating the cat5 cable, enabling digital output, sleek, stylish desgn. Awesome. With just about every audio codec available, there shouldn't be any problems throwing a top-notch party all night long. I'd love to have such a product in my home.

I do have a couple questions revolving around the wireless networking. With the computer constantly sending data to the Squeezebox, how much is internet browsing affected? How taxing is it on to the computer? You would be using some bandwidth to send data. Was internet browsing hindered at all? If you're going to have a computer for music transmission only, how big of a step would it be to make it an HTPC? Not much at all, I think.

I also know that you're using your main pc to transmit with, and why not? Looks like the Squeezebox is also a great option if there's no room in the entertainment center for a HTPC.

I loved that VU "Screen Saver". Does it react to music? I think having an active equalizer of the output music would be awesome.

N

nicjasno

Is it also possible to transmit sound from a microphone, not just pre-recorded stuff like mp3s ?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This is something that I didn't try out but will certainly give it a go when I can. I will let you know soon.

N

nicjasno

Damn... i'd really need that information. Our company plans to purchase 2 squeezeboxes, so we can stream the sound from the microphone through the laptop (where the spoken stuff is also recorded) to the squeezeboxes and to the speakers connected to them.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll pass this along to Greg, he's been busy lately doing other things so he probably forgot. He should get back to you soon...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town setting up a server at one of our southern warehouses. I will check this out tonight and will let you know tomorrow what I find out.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I cannot get this to work. Perhaps if I had different software. I am not saying that I am 100% that this can't be done, but I did not have any luck. Sorry.

U

Unregistered

Remote

Too bad it has an IR remote. A bluetooth remote would have been a much better solution.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
In what way? I haven't had a single problem with the remote to date. It's still running on the original batteries even. I would say that a Bluetooth wouldn't be neat, but it would also up the price more than likely.

U

Unregistered

New Squeezeboxes have a MUCH better looking remote. You can also order the new remote as a replacement part for your old SB, if you dislike the old remote that much (and yes, it's very ugly and looks very cheap).

The VU meters do react to the music, of course. You can also display a spectrum analyzer (like those found on equalizers). And you can play tetris (this is no joke! It's not all that fun with such a small display, of course).

U

Unregistered

Multi-Room

The information on the product states that you can use multiple sets of audio outs (ie, analog & digital) at the same time.

Has anyone used this in a multi-room setup as of yet?

I have a whole home system being installed and a 5.1 system in my great room. Right now the problem is that there is no way to distribute the same music from my IPOD to both the great room system and the multi-room system.

This product seems to be the ticket @ a very low cost.

U

Unregistered

Ron Schweitzer

I read the full review, and still didn't find if you can play different songs in different rooms - I have spent hours researching the SONOS system, which does do this, and am trying to find out if "squeeze" does the same. If not, I don't want it.

U

Unregistered

Squeezebox Multi-Room

Upon further investigation (ie, reading the manual & talking w/ my installer) I have confirmed that this unit does the multi-room function.
The unit has a digitial out & analog out so in my system I will hook up the digitial out to the Yamaha receiver - this will play the music in my great room which is set up w/ 5.1 (all in wall). I will also hook up the analog out to my mutli-room system (Russound CAA66) - this will send the same music to my six zones.

This product is significantly cheaper than the Russound iBridge and provides the uses I need.

I plan on delaying the purchase for a few months to see what the new product will look like - I assume they will be releasing a new product in late summer or early fall.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Glad you figured this out. I don't have the proper equipment to test this out on my own. Again, good luck with your purchase.

As for a new product coming out soon, I have no information regarding this.

U

Unregistered

UHHHHHH!!

cant everything that this $300 product does be done using a $5 1/8 mic jack to an rca line do?

Just plug in your computer to your sterio??????
no bandwidth stealing and laging.

just a thought.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It can, yes. But, it can't do that wirelessly. My host PC is located in the corner of my office and the Squeezebox is conveniently on top of my entertainment center in the middle of the house. I do not have the room, nor do I want, an PC, regardless of form factor, in my entertainment center. For those of you who do have this setup, you are exactly right, it can be done the way you are talking about. My college roommates and I did just that when we would have parties.