SLI verses single

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Do you really get a boost using two cards together, or just a percentage?
For instance, one 8800 GTX is good, so how much better is two?

Merlin/Deckard :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Dual 8800GTX is only useful if you are running a 30" monitor, because of the 2560x1600 resolution. Picture the fact that a game runs well on a single 8800GTX on a 24" monitor (1920x1200 = 2.3 megapixels). Bump up to a 30" monitor and you are now dealing with over 4.0 megapixels. In that case, yes adding a card would almost be necessary.

Depends on the game though. HL2 would still run fine on a 30" monitor on a single 8800GTX, just because it's more CPU bound than GPU bound.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
What is the max resolution of that plasma? I wonder if it's larger than the 30" Dell, pixel wise that is.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Definitely not. The size of the screen means nothing when it comes to a television... even the highest resolution TV's on the market cap at 1366x768. At that point, a 7900GT would be ideal. 8800GTX would be an intense overkill.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Definitely not. The size of the screen means nothing when it comes to a television... even the highest resolution TV's on the market cap at 1366x768. At that point, a 7900GT would be ideal. 8800GTX would be an intense overkill.
1366x768???

You forgetting about 1080p? 1920x1024?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would even say a single 7900GS would be perfect for 1366X768.

Depends on the games, really. But I agree.

1366x768???

You forgetting about 1080p? 1920x1024?

If you bought a TV a year ago, it's doubtful it will support higher than 1366x768 or *x768. I didn't realize the higher resolutions were so prevalent now. Still, computer monitor > TV.

So I guess the question is Merlin, what resolution does the TV support?

I'd like to see a Plasma double as a PC monitor actually... From my experience, it will not be ideal. My LCD TV does something like 1280x768, works well in Windows, but gaming is horribly dark, even after pumping brightness/gamma.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Depends on the games, really. But I agree.

If you bought a TV a year ago, it's doubtful it will support higher than 1366x768 or *x768. I didn't realize the higher resolutions were so prevalent now. Still, computer monitor > TV.

So I guess the question is Merlin, what resolution does the TV support?

I'd like to see a Plasma double as a PC monitor actually... From my experience, it will not be ideal. My LCD TV does something like 1280x768, works well in Windows, but gaming is horribly dark, even after pumping brightness/gamma.

LCD TVs are rapidly progressing. 1080p TVs are getting more popular now. Of course LCD PC monitors can have a greater resolution, but the majority are still 1920x1080 or less. I have a 37" LCD TV with a 1080p native res which can be used as a monitor without any problems (a LOT of people do. They have a sticky about this TV at [H]).

madstork91

The One, The Only...
LCD TVs are rapidly progressing. 1080p TVs are getting more popular now. Of course LCD PC monitors can have a greater resolution, but the majority are still 1920x1080 or less. I have a 37" LCD TV with a 1080p native res which can be used as a monitor without any problems (a LOT of people do. They have a sticky about this TV at [H]).

Thats because they are always looking to make the largest profit... and they can only do this by removing the old Tv's asap. :-/

If you get lucky you can snag an old one for much cheaper ;-p

MakubeX

Partition Master
Thats because they are always looking to make the largest profit... and they can only do this by removing the old Tv's asap. :-/

If you get lucky you can snag an old one for much cheaper ;-p

Much cheaper?

$1,000 for a new 1080p 37" TV with better contrast ratio, response time, viewing angles, a zillion inputs and overall better panel is even luckier. ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have a 37" LCD TV with a 1080p native res which can be used as a monitor without any problems (a LOT of people do. They have a sticky about this TV at [H]).

Games look fine on that? I am just speaking of experience with my LCD TV. I've always been a firm believer that a computer monitor would provide the utmost quality when compared to a TV. Normally, one product can't do two things well (kind of like how the Xbox 360 looks like shit on my ASUS 20" monitor).

$1,000 for a new 1080p 37" TV with better contrast ratio, response time, viewing angles, a zillion inputs and overall better panel is even luckier. ;)

That's the going price nowadays? That's incredible. I paid $1,000 CAN for my 26" LCD TV back in the day. I'll always stick to those over Plasma though. The only Plasmas I've seen with quality to match LCD TVs have been uber expensive.

Edit: I should add that I mean smaller LCD TVs... I am not sure about the larger ones. I owned a Sony DLP 42" Projection LCD TV for about a week and hated the quality... which is why I only owned it for a week ;-)

MakubeX

Partition Master
Yeah, in terms of gaming Plasma and Projection aren't that great. I'd stick with LCD.

I wouldn't say $1K is the norm for this type of monitors yet, this one in specific is a steal (Westinghouse LVM-37w3).

The Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U and the LC-37GP1U are also gaining popularity because they too are also relatively cheap and have even superior specs than the Westy. Plus these models are directed at gamers. :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I've already used the RGB input and it looks great.

Model: Vizio 42" HDTV Plasma
Description: 42" Plasma Television, 16:9 Widescreen Format
Resolution: 1,024 x 768
Includes: remote control, integrated NTSC/ATSC Tuner,
detachable, side-mounted speakers, tabletop stand
Color: Black

madstork91

The One, The Only...
erm... Projection gaming really isnt horrible. It is true that text is horrible on some of the older ones at higher resolutions though.

If it is a text intensive game, yeah: It bad.
If it is a game with medium graphics: not too bad.

My Wii is currently connected to my projector in the living room. I honestly do not see how it could be used on anything smaller than ~ 50in across.

My old rig is also hooked up to it... Starcraft looks beautiful on it. :)

ccdarkness

Obliviot
20" LCD

Hi all..
I have EN7950GT... how it would perform on 20" Monitor? (max res 1680x1050)... can i play for example Ghost Recon with high settings@1600x1024(or smth like this)...