SilverStone TJ09

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
SilverStone is one of the premiere case builders in the market today. From their hugely popular Temjin tower series to the elegant LaScala series of HTPC cases to everything in between like the Sugo LAN case, SilverStone has something that's sure to fit the bill. SilverStone is long known to produce masterpieces of design and thermal engineering, today we look at their latest effort and see if it is indeed their best effort yet.

You can read Matts full review here and discuss it here!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I like this review, especially the wealth of photos. I haven't found many other cases that can trigger the same "gottahaveit" drool reflex like SilverStone's cases. Their current product line is a study in how to rise like cream to the very top of the high-end case market as quickly as possible.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Thanks :) The TJ09 is quite the work of art in my opinion. The options are really limitless as far as cooling goes.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
That really is a good looking case. I think the brushed aluminum look is nice, but agree it's hard to keep clean. It's better than a gloss finish, I think. SilverStone was definitely innovative with the duct work, and I was impressed at how effective it is.

This is definitely a "designer" case. The looks, window placement, and construction, all say quality. It's something I think someone, even if they're not into computers, would really enjoy.

Fine job on explaining the attributes of the case, Matt. Well done.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Oh, quick question. How well do you think it would handle water cooling? Was there space enough to layout the pump, res, etc, in an effective manner?

madmat

Soup Nazi
Actually it'll handle it very well. The res can set on top of the fan duct, the pump between the duct and the PSU and the rad can fit in the roof with an adapter I'm going to be building in the worklog I'll be putting up in the forums.

Trox

Obliviot
Actually it'll handle it very well. The res can set on top of the fan duct, the pump between the duct and the PSU and the rad can fit in the roof with an adapter I'm going to be building in the worklog I'll be putting up in the forums.

First post!

I'm interested in how this case handles water cooling also, has the your work log been posted? I've been trying to search for it but no luck so far.

cheers
Trox

madmat

Soup Nazi
It works wonders really. I posted it in the case mod forum, it's called "Putting the rad in my TJ09" and it outlines what I've done.

I'm going to be putting an MCR320 in it eventually but I have to build another PC so that I've got a rig going in the interim. Right now I'm a bit swamped so it's got to wait but it's in the works.

M

Mer-man

Dust or no dust, that is the question?

I own an older Coolermaster Praetorian case (pac-t01-e1).

http://www.coolermaster.co.jp/web/product/case/pac-t01-e1/01.jpg

I'm quite happy with it, but would like something that has similar good looks, build quality but has better cooling capabilities. I am certain that the tj09 is my guy.

However, I have two concerns:

(1) - The duct/mesh that is situated under the power supply seems to be quite small, and considering most PSUs these days have 120mm fans, it seems to me that the fan will be obstructed by the case.

(2) - The Praetorian has thin foam filters covering all fan ducts/mesh to prevent dust from 'falling' or being 'sucked' into the system. How does the tj09 prevent this from happening? And has anyone found dust to be a problem?

Cheers

Merlin