SilverStone FM82

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking for better cooling, but don't want more fans to add to the noise, Silverstones FM82 may be for you. It promises to be the most silent 80mm fan out there. Let's take it for a test drive.

silverstone_fm82_logo.jpg

Check out the review here and then discuss it here! Questions and all comments are welcomed.

U

Unregistered

Is it possible not to use the provided fan controller, and instead use a multi-channel controller, wouldnt mind a set up using a couple of these, even as over kill as that might seem, lol it's not a bad thing every now and again but surely wouldn't want to use up 2 or more 3.5 bays with seperate controllers. Might be a silly question but rather double check with someone that's used them rather than take a guess.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't see that being a problem at all. I don't have means here to test it, but I am sure it would work with no issues.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
10?

When will fan companies get the clue that they need to put reostats on the fans themselves.
Ive got a couple of fans from generic manucaftures that have a small control lead coming out of the motor, with a screwdriver controled reostat to adjust the speed with. Its not THAT much more expensive to add (i think i paid $2 more over a generic 80mm for them) and it should be standard on any performance fan.

Plus it would be nice to see a rear mounted fan control knob on a slot plate (like most other performance fan manufactures like thermaltake or zalman), instead of a front mounted one...especially in a 3.5 slot. Seriously, ive only got one external 3.5 in my current case, and it has a much needed floppy/card reader combo drive in it. I simply dont have room for it, and i shouldent be penalized by reduced functionality becuase i only have one 3.5 external bay.
The seconed issue that i would have with it that is running the cables to the front of the case. I have enough shit up front already. I dont need another cable getting it the way, especially a small annoying one.

And ironicly enough, my next case will probibly be a Silverstone mATX case. And that case doesnt even have an external 3.5 slot...oops. Way to market research your own products Silverstone.

I think a little bit more market research into the fan industry would have told silverstone to make a rear card plate, then a front mounted, silver, ugly MASSIVLY knobed, 3.5 slot controler.

Just doesnt make sense to me.

I personally havent used the fan. SO i cant comment on performance, or from personal experience. But these are some shortcomings i see with the general design, that really remove from the precieved value of the unit. And would be a big shortcoming for most people expecting to get a good near silent fan.

Oh, you got that db meter from RadioShack yet. ;)