Seagate Savvio 15K - Next Gen Enterprise Drive?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Seagate announced a new addition to their Savvio lineup earlier this week, the 15K. These new drives boast impressive specs all around, including the fact that it's contained in a 2.5" frame. Even though these are the fastest drives available on the market, they use far less power than their 3.5" counterparts.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The Antec P150 and Solo cases will take these superfast 2.5" drives, if you decide you want them in your desktop machine. Both Antec cases (which share the same structure and steel) offer elastic suspension bands for the shock- mounting of hard drives. Giving these bands an extra couple of twists before inserting the drive lets them hold 2.5" drives, though this style of mounting isn't as secure as screwing the drives directly to the bay sleds.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Technology is just getting better and better, these drives are another testament to that. A 15k RPM drive that has uses less power than a typical notebook drive? Awesome. Maximize performance and reduce power consumption. Nice work Seagate.

BillyGman

Obliviot
Ok, I know, old thread alert...but I've been trying to get info about the possible use in a desktop PC with 2 or 3 of these same Seagate 15000 RPM 2.5" hard drives in a RAID 0 array for ultimate speed. Can you guys explain to me how I can do this. I have a SATA type motherboard (an ASUS M3A32-MVP deluxe ) that has SATA connectors.

I'll be running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and I have plenty of power with a 1600 watt power supply. My understanding is that I'll need a RAID controller card to hook the SAS wiring to coming from the Savvio SAS hard drives. Is that correct? And is there any way that I can mount these 2.5" hard drives in my ATX full tower case? (it's a Cooler Master Stacker 830 model). I hope you guys don't laugh at these questions. I'm just an extreme type of guy. Who else would have built an 800 HP pump gas street car? :D But that's another topic for another board. I hope that you guys can help me with this hard drive idea. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
A 1600 w power supply?
Do your light dim when you turn on the computer?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

BillyGman

Obliviot
A 1600 w power supply?
Do your light dim when you turn on the computer?

LOL..yep...in fact, the street lights down the entire road get dim. :D

..it's actually pretty cool though (the power supply I mean)..it's an "X3" from the "Ultra" company. It's one of those modular designs where you only plug the wired connectors into the power supply box that you're going to use. That way, you don't have a fist full of unnecessary wires in your case that you won't be using. makes things neater and easier to work inside your case too.

Last edited:

BillyGman

Obliviot
In case anyone is interested, here's a link to the RAID controller card that i just bought for these hard drives to run in RAID 0.. hopefully I bought the right one. I'm assuming that it doesn't come with the cables or wires that I'll need. I'm not even sure if the hard drives will either. i guess I'll have to figure out what else I'll need once the packages arrive. if anyone has some info for me that I'll need to know regarding hardware, then please don't be shy. ;)

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sas_tech/entry/SAS-48300/

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Surely it will come with at least a few cables. I cant imagine it not. Looks like a good card. Adaptec makes good controllers so you should be happy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Who else would have built an 800 HP pump gas street car?

Geez man, you really do live for power, don't you?!

Sadly, having not worked with these drives (Seagate never sent them), I cannot add anything valuable to this thread. I'd love to hear more about this once you get them installed though.

BillyGman

Obliviot
Surely it will come with at least a few cables. I cant imagine it not. Looks like a good card. Adaptec makes good controllers so you should be happy.
Thankyou for taking the time to review that. I appreciate your input on this.

Geez man, you really do live for power, don't you?! LOL. Yes I do. It's a 632 cubic inch motor I installed in that car. If i was rich, I'd really be trouble. :D
Sadly, having not worked with these drives (Seagate never sent them), I cannot add anything valuable to this thread. I'd love to hear more about this once you get them installed though.
Okay Rob. When I get it all together and running, I'll let you guys know how it worked out. Ofcourse, I'll also be posting more questions if I do have any trouble along the way. This will be the first PC that I've ever built myself. So I guess I'm really diving into the deep end of the pool. I just purchased three of these hard drives as well as that RAID controller, and they're on their way. Thanks for your quick reply.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
At least it's cooler in the deep end of the pool :D

BillyGman

Obliviot
At least it's cooler in the deep end of the pool :D

Yes it's real cool, but if you're just learning how to swim, you can drown if you're not careful (and in this case, your bank account can drown along with you ). But then again, I'm probably just "preachin' to the chior" here. ;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Well, I think it's great that they tested it in the real world before put out to be installed.
To Me, That says a lot.
I think most everyone has had to RMA something ( well, almost everyone )
There's nothing like getting something new right out the box and it doesn't work..... all that waiting for shippping and nadda when it gets there

So, for any company that thinks enough to really test their products, I'm willing to use them

And that's the way it was, April 15th, 2008
Good Day

BillyGman

Obliviot
ok, I've just been able to answer one of my questions. the hard drive mounting problem is solved! here it is below in the link. However, my other question concerning what other hardware I'll need still stands(the use of a RAID controller cards I mean)....

http://sewelldirect.com/Enhance-4x2...om my bank account. Live and learn.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BillyGman

Obliviot
I know this is merely the product review forum, so I'm not sure how heavily traveled it is, but if anyone is interested in what I've explained in the last post, then just give a holler, and I'll take some pics and post them. But I atleast wanted to let you guys know what you would be in for, if you decided to buy one of these enclosure cages like I just did. Like they say..."it ain't all that it's cracked up to be" :mad:

Krazy K

Partition Master
Reading all of this I came to think of a something someone told me about a stand-alone RAID card. It was able, once it was built, to incorporate additional drives. It was quite a few years ago and I can't think of anything else. If you use 0, the array is fixed and another drive cannot be simply added, as far as I know. I'm ditching my Raptor and mirroring some WD 640s and want this thought quelled.