Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Seagate FreeAgent Pro combines a sleek external design with a solid, reliable drive inside. But the FreeAgent’s feature set doesn’t end there. Here’s a look at what makes the Seagate FreeAgent Pro such an attractive solution for anyone looking to add external storage to their system.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Awesome, thanks. This is one of those products you really can't go wrong with, from one of those manufacturers you really can't go wrong with.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree. Seagate is the only company to have earned a 9/10 score or higher in every single review (that I recall) on our site. Their product development team must have some hardcore endurance ;-)

U

Unregistered

FreeAgent Pro Tools Software Download?

I bought this (mainly because of techgage's review) and I formatted the drive thinking I didn't need the software that came bundled with it. Now I want to have the FreeAgent Pro Tools software because it'll let me adjust the sleep function of the drive. Does anybody know where I can get the software? I tried finding it on the seagate website and had no luck doing so. Please help! :(

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I would contact Seagate and see if they can do anything for you. It might be a simple CD install. Or, it could be differant. Call them and see what they have to say first, then se can go from there.

U

Unregistered

just bought a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 320

does this model not come with the autobackup software? I installed it yesterday and after going through the process it told me I had to pay (or use the 30 free trial)- which seems stupid. Like buying any hardware and having to pay yet again to get full use of the features?

U

Unregistered

Best Buy has the 750GB on sale for $199

I just bought a 2nd ESATA Sata drive today. Out local Best Buy has a sale on them for $199 for the 750GB or $169 for the 500GB. No brainer as ESATA is 5x faster than USB. My HDTech rate for USB is 20MB/sec. ESATA is 184 (going direct to motherboard!).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That is a good deal... $200 for a 750GB would be impressive enough, but the fact that it's the FreeAgent makes it just that much sweeter. I hate Best Buy, but it would be hard to pass up that deal.

U

Unregistered

Blue Screen error on reboot

I read the review and read a few more, was so impressed i went and bought one. Full of excitement(sad)...i installed the software as soon as it powered up, but on my machien reboot was met with a blue screen error (Firewire Install). So i uninstalled and tried a USB install, which my machine on reboot froze whiel checking USB mass storage options!... HELP - anyoen any ideas, I am no techy just wanted a massive storage option for my digital files. Thanks in advance of any repsonses...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds like it's a problem with your motherboard, not the FreeAgent. First thing I would check is to make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date. Past that, I am not really sure. It really sounds like a motherboard issue though.

T

Tahhh

Difficulty with the Firewire Module

I have both USB 2.0 and Firewire on my computer, and since the Firewire interface is underused, decided to swap the modules.

I found, today (first day out of the box) that this drive, with this interface, is VERY unsteady. It didn't start up at first--and was so dead that I thought something was amiss with my computer's interface...then, suddenly, with no apparent reason, it started up, the computer recognized it, and all looked normal.

Then, I gently lifted the drive to move it, slightly, and it went dark again. Unplugging and re-plugging the fire-wire cable a few times and a few prayers seemed to get it going again, although, again, it seems very, very shaky and delicate.

I'm not sure if I have a defective drive, and I haven't tried it on the USB interface to see if that's a bit sturdier.

Frankly, I think Seagate wastes paper: there's a little leaflet in the box, and instead of being cute by printing empty pages that say "this won't take long" and other promotional hype, they would have done well to print some orderly instructions telling people what to expect...for example, I didn't know that the drive illuminates to show it is on...I didn't know if there was something to press...I didn't know how tightly the screw that affixes the interface modules should be tightened (perhaps that's the problem), and I didn't know what "normal operation" should look like.

Unfortunately, it's the weekend, and they only have tech support phones manned when customers are at work themselves, and cannot call, so I'll have to wait until Monday to find out if I have a defective unit which should be returned, or if this shaky interface is normal--in which case I shall return it for a refund, since it won't suit me to have such a delicate drive that can't stand up to being shifted accidentally without turning off and disconnecting.

The base seems to get rather hot, too...which has me a bit concerned that it's a defective unit too...again, there's not a word on this subject to be found in the accompanying leaflet or online.

If it can stay connected tonight, I shall try a full back-up onto it and see how that goes.

Meanwhile, my enthusiasm is cooled, considerably...it is, contrary to the promise of their leaflet, taking longer than I anticipated!

U

Unregistered

http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip

http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip
I bought this (mainly because of techgage's review) and I formatted the drive thinking I didn't need the software that came bundled with it. Now I want to have the FreeAgent Pro Tools software because it'll let me adjust the sleep function of the drive. Does anybody know where I can get the software? I tried finding it on the seagate website and had no luck doing so. Please help! :(

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
To those having trouble with the input module, have you made sure to tighten the screw on the bottom of the unit completely? If it's not tightened (using a coin, not a screwdriver), the input module could conceivably jostle loose. If you have a drive that doesn't include the Memeo software, either Seagate has changed the software bundle, or else you don't have a FreeAgent Pro, just the less-expensive FreeAgent. The housings for the two drives have different designs, so don't just look for the vertical drive that lights up yellow -- make sure it says "Pro" on the box.

U

Unregistered

Suitable for Dish Network Receiver?

Dish Network just announced the ability to connect a USB2 hard drive to their VIP622 and 722 HD receivers for additional DVR recording time. This would require the hard drive to run 24-7. Is this drive up to the challenge? Seems like a great solution for storing about 75 hrs of HD programming.

U

Unregistered

FAP 750

I purchased this drive a few weeks ago from BB. Your review helped me in my decision.

My reason for the purchase was to use it with DirectTV's HR20 HD DVR via the eSATA connection-- it was easy to install, and worked fine. It tripled my recording storage capacity. In the process of using it with DTV, the drive was formatted with loss of the installed hardware.

Verizon recently finished installing their optic cable in my area- and, last week I made the switch to an all-Verizon house (HDTV-internet(terrific so far!)-land line phone/wireless phone. Could not resist the approx. $90/month saving compared to my previous services.

So, I got an eSATA PCI-e adapter card for my PC, hooked up the Freeagent Pro and saw it recgnized at boot-up, and, in device manager (as a scsi device?). A call to Segate and to Vortex (mfg of the adapter card) indicated this is correct). Seagate's tech gave me the same FTP address to download the software as is given here. I feel that the document that came with the drive, and, information on the Segate's website do not cover a situation like mine.

I only have had it up on my PC since last night, but, it seems to be working OK, although if I turn it off before booting the PC I get a message that the drive is not found by the software?

V

Valanda

an actual issue with Seagate's FAP

If one visits the seagate website and reads the forums that are there, one discovers that the USB interface is often incorrectly assembled at the factory (or similar) and gets pushed back up into the housing where it is then nonfunctional. Then all of a sudden those users have a very smartly colored and designed paperweight.

This you would not think would be too much of an issue. They have a nice selling point with this unit series (the 320 GB and 500GB models as well) as having an interchangeable modules for different connectivity. To be honest that is what hooked me on this as well. Now that I have had my unit for about 6 months, and my original crisis has dissipated, I wish to change that interface from the e-SATA//USB 2.0 connector to the Firewire 400 connector. I have one small problem though. My particular model did not come with the extra interfaces. I had at the time made a reasonable assumption that I would be able to purchase the interface I desired from Seagate at a later date. I am here to tell you that is not the case, nor is Seagate as far as I can tell, planning to sell them.

Their forum people are quite unhappy, seeing as how they cannot easily get this part shipped to them under warranty. Seagate is requesting that they send in the whole unit as an exchange rather than sending a new interface module. This is unnecessary and causes the customer undue stress and burden for their data. They automatically lose their data, and it is on a functional hard drive. There is no reason for this to happen. The customers who have intact data should not have to surrender their drives for an external interface card that is user replaceable. The shipping alone is a differential that should be easily noted for cost issues. It costs a lot more to ship an entire drive than the very small interface module. I wonder what i occurring within Seagate to cause this very unsettling circumstance?

U

Unregistered

FreeAgent 750GB

I have a FreeAgent 750GB , not PRO,

I hear a click come from it every now and then, maybe every 30 mins, this cant be healthy, It sits on my desk all the time away from wondering hands or feet... It seems to work great apart from the random concerning click. I have a friend who lost his 1000GB FreeAgent due to the USB port on it somehow becoming loose inside, the drive died and he chucked it in the bin. The drive was used for backing up SQL Databases and barely was touched.

5 Year warranty is great, atleast if something bad happens to it (non act of god), it's covered.

U

urbanfox

Mac software for freeagent pro

Hey, I also deleted the software off my new freeagent pro as leopard's time machine loaded straight away and I activated that before installing the drive doh. I saw that previous link for the software which is also what seagate gave me when I had online chat with them yesterday, however, it is for WINDOWS! So annoying as now they are closed for the weekend. Anyone have the link fr the os x software?

Thanks