Seagate CEO Unimpressed With SSDs for Notebooks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Seagate, a company firmly entrenched in traditional hard disk drive (HDD) storage, unsurprisingly is not impressed with SSDs. "Realistically, I just don’t see the flash notebook sell," said Seagate CEO Bill Watkins. "We just don’t see the proposition."

It's understandable that Watkins would want to protect his company's investment in mobile HDDs, but it shouldn't be too difficult to appreciate the advantages on mobile platforms.

http://www.dailytech.com/Seagate+CEO+Unimpressed+With+SSDs+for+Notebooks/article11222.htm

Bill Watkin's makes a good point, but I think like most things, these high-end (as in price) parts right now lay the groundwork for the future. While a 64GB SSD costs around $1,200 now, it could cost $600 or even less by the end of the year. Realistically, even with THOSE prices, SSD is not going to go mainstream, but what about next year?

If prices drop by the end of the year, densities will also grow. We will see more and more drives, with larger densities, for much better prices. Who knows, by mid-next-year, we might see a 128GB option for $600... or even less. That trend will only continue until the drives are completely affordable.

Though SSD has a few downsides, the upsides outweigh them. Super fast transfer speeds, low latencies, better efficiency... it seems like a win/win. It might be difficult for the typical hard drive in its current form to compete years down the road. Seagate has nothing to worry about right now though, since most people would much prefer installing 3TB in their machine rather than 64GB :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I remember on the older game consols have the game its self plug into a slot as a module.
If the prices get reasonable, high tech games could go this route instaed of DVD/CD.
Just a thought.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. That reminds me of how much we were ripped off back then. I remember paying over $40 for an additional 4MB of RAM for my Nintendo 64! Sure, it was worth it since I could play Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark in higher resolution, but man, that could have bought another game!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'll have to agree with you Rob, SSD is the wave of the future, how far in the future is anyones guess right now only because of the price.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Until they come down in price, I too am not impressed. Write speeds are another concern. While read speeds are amazing, write speeds are lacking when it comes to SSDs. Quoting Cheen Liao from Synology (source):

processor.com said:
According to Cheen Liao, president of Synology (www.synology.com), SSDs have relatively slower write speeds due to the fact that current file systems are not designed to take advantage of SSDs. So, adds Liao, “file systems are needed to adapt to SSDs.” Today, says Liao, capacity and write speed are the main concerns surrounding SSDs.

While that might concern many, the sheer price of the damn things are scaring customers like myself away. Give me cheap capacity like what we have now in platter based hard drives over SSDs any day. While SSDs are more reliable due to no moving parts, if you can't backup your data periodically, a hard drive failing might be a lesson many will have to learn the hard way.

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Backing up is something that you should do regardless of the media type you're using. SSD's can also dump your data without warning, just like a USB flash drive can, and I've had more than one of those go bad over time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Backing up is something that you should do regardless of the media type you're using. SSD's can also dump your data without warning, just like a USB flash drive can, and I've had more than one of those go bad over time.

So have I... both of them were Corsair Voyagers (could be a coincidence). When SSD's first came out, this is what I thought of. I haven't heard of any real reliability issues regarding them so far.

As for the file system issue, is the write speed really that bad? I haven't looked at a chart lately, so am unsure. I am still unsure how it would be hurt so bad, though. There is hardly any latency in these things, and if the read is so fantastic, why is the write not that good?

I'd almost be quick to blame the current chips, not the file system.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Another thought.....
You could set it up to run the OS and any added drives for storage on Computers.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
That's what I was thinking, small SSD boot drive, and everything else on a standard drive.

I tried putting Ubuntu on a 4 gig flashdrive to use for a boot drive, but I haven't gotten it to work right yet..........:(