ScrewAttack Top 10 NES Games

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Talk about a difficult list to throw together! My personal top 10 is below. Feel free to add your own!

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" height="392" width="480"> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=26529" swliveconnect="true" name="gtembed" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" align="middle" height="392" width="480"> </object>

Bomberman
Contra
Dragon Warrior
Duck Tales
Faxanadu
Final Fantasy
Guardian Legend
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 3
Willow

NicePants42

Partition Master
Heh, let's see...

Ghostbusters
Karate Kid
Dr. Jekel & Mr. Hyde
Friday the 13th
Back to the Future
I never had an NES, but games like those make for hilarious angry nerds.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
My wife bought me Captain N: The Game Master for our 6th anniversary.

Duck Tales
Faxanadu
Legend of Zelda 2
Mega Man 3 (Damn that Top Spin!)
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Tetris
Yo! Noid
Willow

Last edited:

MakubeX

Partition Master
Wow, so long ago... let me see, favorite games from the ones I actually played...and remember...

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (this game alone could take up my top 3 spots)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Ninja Gaiden
Battletoads
Contra
Batman
Toki
Double Dragon
Adventure Island (don't remember which one)
Super Mario Bros.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Not in any particular order...

Dragon Warrior
Legend of Zelda
Mario Bros. 1
Caslevania 1
Metroid
Captain Skyhawk
Tecmo Bowl
Tetris
Mega Man 2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Faxanadu
Willow

I can't believe someone else enjoyed those games as well! Those are two games that I go back to every few years and attempt to play through. Willow in particular was an incredible game. Had awesome music, cool monsters, and it was the movie that helped me beat the game. I had no idea how to beat the final boss, but the movie told me, hah.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I haven't played faxanadu in a long while, though I would often use the infinite elixir trick in the beginning of the game for quick and rich levelling. ^_^ That game was great. The whole Tree of Life part still sticks out in my mind as one of the most fun areas of any game I've ever played.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I never did know about that infinite Elixir trick, but I'll have to check it out next time I give the game a go. I agree about the Tree of Life though... excellent. The entire game was well done... the world gave a lot to the imagination and the monsters were ugly and cool at the same time.

Does the Captain N: The Game Master have the two Faxanadu-inspired episodes? I haven't looked deep at that set before, but I'd imagine they would be there.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Maybe, I haven't watched the show since it was still on the air.
So far my daughter and I are about 1/2 way through the 2nd DVD.

I used to know the exact combination of things to buy for the infinite elixir trick. Basically you go to the king at the beginning for your gold, spend it all down to 0 gold, and go back for more. Buying mostly elixirs you can level without fear of death and the supply doesn't end until you want it to. I think you want to avoid picking up coins so you don't get an uneven number, but I really don't remember that well. ;-)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, nice! I don't remember finding the game that difficult when I was a kid, but I find it a lot harder now for some reason...