Save cash? Purchase a full animal...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
http://lifehacker.com/380492/save-m...whole-animals-and-other-extreme-saver-secrets

Uber saver Mike Hegarty, a CPA in Des Moines, Iowa, says he saves $500 a year on meat by purchasing whole animals from local farms. In case you've never done it and you're having a hard time visualizing it in your garage, when you buy a quarter of a cow from a local farm, a butcher cuts it into the familiar hamburger, flank and sirloin steaks and packages it for you. An extra bonus: Local farms often raise all-natural or even organic beef, pork and chicken.

This story was too good to not post. Sure, it's a way to save cash, but I'd feel damn odd driving home with half a cow in the trunk.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I've done this a few times in the past, actually, you have the 1/4 cow taken to a processor, then they cut and wrap the meat.
You take home the packages and freeze.
Myself, I don't eat that much meat anymore. And the freezer has things that I can't identify....lol...so I don't eat it. Guess it's time to clean out the freezer.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
We have been doing since I have been alive... then again, I live on a farm :D

It's a phenomenal way to save money. When we did it though, we would take our own cows to the market (processor) and usually split it with a friend. We share the costs as well as the meat. You can even talk with the butcher and let him know what cuts you want and how much ground beef you would like as well. If your into pork, substitute a pig for a cow and your still in business.

We wont get into poultry... thats a nasty process that I have thankfully never has to do but my parents have plenty of stories. It's always better when other do the dirty work.

Last edited:

BlackAndy

Obliviot
Funny that this was posted here....
I actually talked myself into doing this earlier this week.
I am trying to find a good steer now, and when I find one I will take it down to the slaughter house for processing, and around 10-14 days later I will have 600-750 pounds (273-341 kilos for Rob:D) of fresh organic beef for my freezer.
The bride to be isn't too thrilled, but she's not the boss of me yet...:(
-Andy

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
-Andy
Be careful, she'll have a ring in your nose, and maybe in the freezer also...lol

:techgage::techgage: Merlin the terrible :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
-Andy

Seriously, does she have even one valid reason to not be thrilled? ONE?!? It's not like your asking to take in a perfect stranger moving to Indiana from New York that may or may not end up being a total douche and take your money. It's a freaking cow!

BlackAndy

Obliviot
The look on her face was classic when I told her that I was going to put a framed picture of the cow above the freezer...:)
I am lucky she puts up with me.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
It makes sense...but my Malibu maxx probably can't even handle a 1/4 cow...don't think it would be practical for some...