Satellite high speed...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob knows this all to well but I will fill the rest of you in a bit on the current DarkSynergy internet "situation." My wife and I recently bought some land just west of Indianapolis... a good deal of land.

While I love the country and the outdoors, the lack of anything other than dial-up is kind of cramping my style.

I have called the broadband providers numerous times, only to get a "we are working on expanding our service area to provide valued potential custome... " at which point in the conversation, I slip into a marketing overload induced comma.

Do any of you have any experience with satellite internet? Would I be better just continuing to wardrive? Damn country life.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Look into a Cellular based internet access. Satellite access is gonna cost you just as much and as an EX satellite customer, they suck ass. Even a mild rain shower will cut your service and it's just crap for what you'll pay.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have thought of this. The only catch for me is, I would like to be able to reliably upload reviews via FTP as well as remote into the servers at work. I know I can remote in with Windows Mobile 5, but I am unsure about uploading. Either way you look at it, its a shitty situation. Woe is me.

drewd

Obliviot
Is Clearwire around in your area? They're pretty popular where I'm at, particularly for folks a little further out in the country.

I haven't heard a lot of good about satellite internet. Between rain fade and really high latency, I'd say that it's a solution of very last resort.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thing is, I am to that point of last resort. In my area, we have Hughes Net and Wild Blue. Maybe I will just Andy Dufrain Comcast and SBC.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Satellite Internet, last I heard, was a hack solution. You could get it coming down, but going up, you used a dial up connection. You see... to "upload" to a satellite, you would need the ability to "transmit" to the Sat at that speed, and transmission licenses the FCC does not allow. So, recieving signal is easy. But it was not a 2 way street unless something has changed in the last few years that I have not heard about.

Also, high latency is a real bitch too. Anytime you are dealing with a line of sight/transmission type device... weather events play havoc. Especially if high winds screw up your antenna alignment.

As for broadband providers, I got no love for you with regards to a solution. :(

Best of luck man, you are going to need it!

I will say this... if they can put broadband in my Dad's podunk town in the middle of no where, then getting it to you should not be *that* difficult.