SATA GH22NS50 Freezes My Computer

knuttall

Obliviot
I recently installed an LG SATA GH22NS50 DVD burner. The drive works fine for about 5 minutes and freezes my computer. If there is no disc inserted, the computer runs fine. Insert a disc and in 5 minutes or less it will freeze the computer. Of course if you unplug the drive the computer runs fine. LG support offered no help. Does anyone have any ideas?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I recently installed an LG SATA GH22NS50 DVD burner. The drive works fine for about 5 minutes and freezes my computer. If there is no disc inserted, the computer runs fine. Insert a disc and in 5 minutes or less it will freeze the computer. Of course if you unplug the drive the computer runs fine. LG support offered no help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yep... take it back and get one from a reliable manufacturer. In the same budget range, either Pioneer or Lite-On should be ok.

There have been numerous problems with LG drives of late... also see This Thread Needless to say you may want to avoid installing the software from the supplied disks.

Last edited:

knuttall

Obliviot
My dvd drive didn't come with a disk to install anything. I guess I got ripped on that one too, but that don't sound like a bad thing according to the posting.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That drive sounds like bad news all-around. There's little sense in recommending anything except to get another drive. Like Tango, I'd highly recommend Pioneer (they're my first choice) or Lite-On.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
My dvd drive didn't come with a disk to install anything. I guess I got ripped on that one too, but that don't sound like a bad thing according to the posting.

I'd say you are lucky. The problem with the drive foundering is cause for you to put in the update, which has that "Bluebirds" virus in it... You could try the patcher from the LG site and see if that fixes it... but I think you'll be a lot happer getting away from LG altogether.

Go Pioneer, you won't regret it. I recently went around all the machines under my care and swapped out all the LG drives for Pioneer... so far, no problems.

Last edited:

knuttall

Obliviot
Thanks for the advice. Since it's out of warranty and LG won't step up to the plate and admit their faults, I guess I'll just chalk this one up to $30 worth of experience.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Thanks for the advice. Since it's out of warranty and LG won't step up to the plate and admit their faults, I guess I'll just chalk this one up to $30 worth of experience.

Ummm... Gees I hate to see you out money for their screwups...

I beileve the warranty on that drive is 1 year. The catch is that they may just send you another drive with the exact same problem.

Will the store you bought it from exchange it for you? Most stores have a return policy that would allow you to return it and upgrade to a better model within 30 days. A quick phone call should clear that up for you...

And there is a tacit admission of "guilt" in that LG has a downloadable fix for the problem.

Last edited:

knuttall

Obliviot
It's been 60 days since I bought it, so the store warranty is up. LG says that it's not the drive. They say it's not installed correctly and won't warranty it. I would think that if it's not install correctly then it wouldn't work at all, instead of working for 5 minutes and freezing the computer. I feel lucky though, some lessons cost way more than $30.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
You do have to pay in some form for worth while education ... perhaps you can sell it to someone with conditions. The primary condition, if it works (for more than 5 minutes) .. send money. :)

Out of curiosity, what OS are you using?