Sapphire's Atomic HD 4870 X2 Water-Cools both GPU and CPU

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:

As has been evident by recent announcements, ATI is in a fantastic position right now. Their products are great performers, well-priced, and look good. But, if there's a lingering problem, it would be that the cards can get hot, and that's an understatement, since by hot, I mean ~75°C idle for the X2. The good thing is that the cards operate just fine under such hot temps, but for those looking to cool things down a little, while still receiving incredible performance, Sapphire has you covered.

Their new Atomic edition HD 4870 X2 card, simply put, comes pre-equipped with a water-cooling loop. This has been done before by other companies, but the result here looks fantastic, and the best part? It cuts down the huge double-slot card to just a single-slot, so it's a win/win all-around.

But it gets better. The pump also doubles as a CPU water-block, so with this one product, you not only cool the GPU, but the CPU as well. According to initial reviews, the solution is effective overall. With the CPU block being used, the Atomic manages to cool the HD 4870 X2 just as well as a stock card with its fan at 100%. Not bad, given that at 100%, the fan generates more whine than a vineyard.

The Atomic once it hits retail will sell for around $700, so it's not exactly cheap. It's not exactly a huge premium though, either, given that for the extra $200, you're getting a water-cooled CPU and GPU, and also an array of other goodies.

sapphire_atomic_4870x2_121808.jpg

Liquid coolant in the SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 ATOMIC is circulated through the graphics card cooler and a chassis mounted radiator by a pump assembly which fixes onto the standard system CPU mountings (both AMD and Intel mounts supplied). The graphics cooler, CPU cooler and radiator are connected in a closed loop by high quality flexible yet tough Teflon tubing and attached to each module with interference fit barbed joints that are sealed for life.

No product page to link to yet, since Sapphire hasn't officially posted it, or the press release.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If that works well that is one hell of a deal. The CPU block has the pump so it makes perfect sense to incorporate it that way. Very innovative.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
To me, It would seem there is a lot of wattage being dispersed through one rad the size of a 120mm fan.
The NV 200 from CoolIt has a rad the size of 2 80 mm fans placed side by side, and it only cools one GPU

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hmm, instead of the pump on the CPU, maybe a heat dispersing punp built into the rad ?
Now, that would be something to get a patent

Krazy K

Partition Master
To me, It would seem there is a lot of wattage being dispersed through one rad the size of a 120mm fan.
The NV 200 from CoolIt has a rad the size of 2 80 mm fans placed side by side, and it only cools one GPU

A single 120 has more surface area than 2 80s...so why not? I would say its even more efficient to have 1 large radiator than many small ones.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Still significantly more surface area and better distribution of heat than compared to the original OEM cooler, should be a nice boost.

I'm sure a 2x120 rad would drops the temps much lower though, if the pump/block are decent quality.

Krazy K

Partition Master
How many people have the room to mount a 2x120 in the case? I think this will fit a small niche who want a discrete cooler and have an open 120 slot. I would look seriously at this is it was less than $700 and I had a 4780x2.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I would go out on a limb and say that a surprisingly large portion of case buyers could mount a 2x120 rad... The kind of enthusiast that buys a watercooled 4870 X2 is likely going to have a high-end case, and most cases $150 and up will more likely than not fit one.

Even the HAF-932 can mount a 2x120 rad in the top, the side, or the front.

Krazy K

Partition Master
That is a good point, the enthusiast that would buy this should have room for a 2x120. I did buy the cosmos so that I would have a 2x120, but there a lot more 1x120 slots open in cases. Maybe they will have an option to double up the rads or they could make a 2x120 and sell it for a few bucks more.