SanDisk Unveils 'slotMusic' - Smallest Albums Ever?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I realize full-well that I'm in the minority, but I love walking into a music store and picking up a fresh shrink-wrapped impossible-to-open-without-a-knife CD and going home to jam out. It's just one of those things. I'm a purist, so I cannot bring myself to download lossy music, or even download lossless music if the option was there. I like ripping my own music and being done with it. But again, I'm in the minority.

Who's not in the minority are the millions of people who LOVE services like iTunes and Amazon music, and in truth, I have no reason to blame them. Convenience is key, and it's hard to disagree with. It sure does hurt hard-copy music sales though, which is one reason SanDisk is partnering up with four major music labels to launch a new format, called slotMusic.

slotMusic is music sold on a microSD card... and nothing more. I wish it was more interesting, but that's it. Full albums will be pre-loaded in MP3 format (non-DRM!) and can be immediately played in your cell phone or MP3 player. Each "album" will include a USB sleeve so you can access the music on Windows, Linux or Mac, which leads me to assume you could also take the music off with no issue.

<table align="center" border="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
sandisk_slotmusic_092208.jpg

Definitely not to scale.</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
"slotMusic offers consumers an immediate, tangible, and high quality alternative to CDs and digital delivery," said Danielle Levitas, vice president, Consumer, Broadband & New Media, IDC. "This year, more than 1.2 billion mobile phones will ship globally, outstripping portable media players by nearly an order of magnitude - and this trend is accelerating."

Source: SanDisk Press Release

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
First thought, "cool". Second thought... "what the heck, do people really want a tabletop or drawer full of tiny capacity MicroSD cards?" 2GB cards are worth pocket change, 4GB can be had for under $20... the entire point of digitizing is to avoid not only carrying around a pile or something but to ensure it can't get damaged or broken (or scratched) in the process.

I still haven't forgiven Sandisk for their firmware ruining my Sansa Express... I upgraded the firmware and now the player stutters and locks up randomly if I attempt to use any microSD card. Naturally their tech support doesn't natively speak english, and I didn't have the time to spend more than a week of trading emails to try and get a refurbed unit as a replacement.