Samsung SyncMaster 2232GW Wide-Screen

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Mid-range displays keep on getting better and Samsung's 2232GW is a great example of that. At 22", it offers a 1680x1050 resolution, 2ms response and a 3000:1 contrast ratio and one of the sharpest images we've seen in a while.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

moon111

Coastermaker
Does anyone know what panel is being used in this? I just bought a Samsung 226bw and they came with three different types of diminishing quality each time. Still at $299 cdn, I'm happy with it.

The large size is definately improved my gaming. When I use a rifle scope, it's as big as my old monitor was. Wouldn't buy anything smaller then 22" now, and I'm not rich by any means.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Our graphics department was broken into last week and our 22" Dell monitors were stolen. We replaced the four missing monitors with the Samsung 2232 and the differences are night and day apart. We also picked them up for just over $300... $310 I think at Best Buy. Good monitors all in all.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Does anyone know what panel is being used in this? I just bought a Samsung 226bw and they came with three different types of diminishing quality each time. Still at $299 cdn, I'm happy with it.

The large size is definately improved my gaming. When I use a rifle scope, it's as big as my old monitor was. Wouldn't buy anything smaller then 22" now, and I'm not rich by any means.

As far as I am aware, both the 2232BW and 226BW a similar Samsung TN panel, but the difference is that thanks to the glossier panel, the 2232GW might appear slightly more bright. That, and the 3000:1 panel which might result in deeper blacks.

U

Unregistered

I got the 2232gw a few days ago and so far I'm pleased. Calibrating it took a while but now colours are a real joy.

There's some ghosting if you have fast movement + bright yellow bordering with black (the desert in Overlord for example) but it's hardly distracting.
The panel itself's not Samsung though. Ti's a M-PE22B0CLA-1001 made by
AUO's.
Here's a link: http://auo.com/auoDEV/products.php [...] items_id=1

Word.

E.M.I.
I was looking at This samsung screen today for 299$ at future shop, Just wondering guys If playing a game for a few hours on it is going to burn my eyes out? How was your game playing it on it rob

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi man,

No I don't think your eyes will bleed when using this :p If you plan on gaming for -many- hours, then a larger 24" Dell (which would be slightly easier on the eyes) might be worth the move.

U

Unregistered

only circuit city?

Our graphics department was broken into last week and our 22" Dell monitors were stolen. We replaced the four missing monitors with the Samsung 2232 and the differences are night and day apart. We also picked them up for just over $300... $310 I think at Best Buy. Good monitors all in all.

I am interested in this monitor (2232 GW), but can only find it for sale at Circuit City, and even there, only a few stores have them in stock?

Can anyone shed light on this? I mean, the monitor has been out for a few months now, how come Circuit City is the only place that sells it (I cant find it on sale online either)?

Thanks,
Mark.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not sure when this monitor came out, but many manufacturers have exclusive deals with certain B&M stores, which is why the monitor might only be available at Circuit City for the time being. Gateway is another company that does this, with Best Buy, and it sucks.

I'll check in with Samsung to see if I can find out whether or not other stores will see this display soon.

U

Unregistered

Hooking this up with an XBOX 360

Hey guys, I'm looking for a monitor exclusively to be able to hook my xbox 360 up to and play some games on it. Does this monitor have the capabilities so that I can plug the system straight into the monitor without any problems? Specifically, I will be connecting it with this type of cable: Xbox 360 VGA HD AV cable. Thanks for your help!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you have a VGA or DVI cable, it should work without issue. Most people use component with their Xbox 360's, which this monitor does not support.

U

Unregistered

dvi connectors

I just bought this unit from Circuit City. I have a PNY Geforce 7900 GS graphics card. Both say they have DVI, but the dvi connector does not match what I have on my graphics card. What's the problem? Do I need an adapter for dvi connection? My old 19 inch crt had an adapter to connect it to my graphics card. Is there another adapter for this situation? Any help appreciated.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
DVI connections

I just bought this unit from Circuit City. I have a PNY Geforce 7900 GS graphics card. Both say they have DVI, but the dvi connector does not match what I have on my graphics card. What's the problem? Do I need an adapter for dvi connection? My old 19 inch crt had an adapter to connect it to my graphics card. Is there another adapter for this situation? Any help appreciated.
There are three DVI types
DVI I ( Analog AND Digital ) ( 24 pins and a slot pin with four pins ( two on top, two on bottom of slot ))

DVI D ( Digital ) ( two rows of 9 pins and a slot pin )

DVI A ( High Resolution analog ) ( twelve pins ( four and eight ) and a slot pin with four pins ( two on top and two on bottom ))

Most monitors have the DVI I inputs as well as the GPU
Some budget monitors have the DVI A connections

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I have a DVI-D cable ( 2 sets of 9 pins) supplied with my monitor. It does not match the connection from my Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS graphics card. Is there an adapter to match these 2 up? Perhaps at Radio Shack? I hate to unplug my monitor again after finally getting it setup properly.

U

Unregistered

I've come to understand that the cable with my monitor is DVI-D and my graphics card has only DVI-I. I called Staples and they tell me they have an adapter for this. Thank you so much for your help!