Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard

U

Unregistered

I can't get the media keys to work at all. The only working extra button is the colour changer, but other than that its a great keyboard.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That is strange. What media player are you trying to control? I haven't had the media keys work off the bat with anything but Windows Media Player. With Foobar and Winamp, I had to manually map the keys. Let me know and I will try to help you out.

U

Unregistered

Disappointed

Had a Saitek Eclipse found the key finish to be very poor, why oh why were they not treaded to a think coating of laquer to protect the surface against the abrading action of typing? As a heavy user of my machine, I was also disappointed when certain key functions quit after just 14 months, silly stuff like "underscore" no longer work... so deciding to give Saitek a chance to redeem themselves I upgraded to an Eclipse2 and found the illumination very poor, on the right hand side of mine the purple lighting turns to pretty much blue, and there is a triangular area to the left of the main enter key that is very dim compared to the rest of the keyboard when using the red illumination, and is certainly not as uniform as the illustration on their advertising shots and on the packaging suggests.

I RMA'd it but was told by the supplier that it is operating correctly, and so I have rejected the goods under the distance selling regs we have in the UK. I also put in a call to Saitek UK and told the support team of the problem they seem to feel that the lighting should be pretty uniform across the keyboard and have taken the RMA number and are contacting the supplier directly to investigate further.

In all I am this far unimpressed with Saitek, I will update this if I get any news ut Right now I am looking at the Logitec range, thankfully there is more than one player in this market

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Sorry to hear that your having problems. I hope that Saitek USA can help you out more than what you have received so far. Honestly, I have not worked with anything from Saitek other than their keyboards so I dont know about their quality across the board. However, with the Eclipse line, I have had nothing but positive results.

I certainly hope that your fortunes change. Good luck.

ryan92084

Obliviot
i also thoroughly enjoy the eclipse line
my first eclipse died after 3 years for a mysterious reason but that did not at all cause me to hesitate in purchasing a new eclipse II

haven't had a chance to play with the media keys but i find the lighting in the new model to definately be improved and the keys are quieter and seem more responsive

U

Unregistered

do you know of any cool wireless keyboards?

Or are there something similar to extension cords for keyboards?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am personally not a fan of wireless keyboard and have had only bad luck with keyboards of the wireless variety. To be fair though, I haven't used a wireless keyboard in a few years and the technology has clearly advanced since then.

If your looking for an "extension", a simple USB extender cable would serve you well.

U

Unregistered

Saitek Eclipse II

hi, i need a new keyboard.

i am looking for a gaming one that will last me a long time, is the Saitek Eclipse II the one for me?

i hear that some keys stop responding after daily use.

has anyone had this keyboard for a long time and still had no problems?

cheers

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I know Greg uses this keyboard on a daily basis at his house and I've never heard a complaint from him. I'll make sure he sees this thread though, so he can fill you in on his experiences.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I loved my original so much that I bought a second one for work. Almost a year and a half of everyday use at work as a network administrator (a lot of typing) and it still works as it did the day I reviewed it. The back lit keys could still benefit from being a bit brighter but all in all, it's still the best keyboard I have used to date. You wont be sorry if you choose the Eclipse II. Then again, there are plenty of other nice boards available as well so I can't very well tell you that it's the best on the planet. I just personally happen think it is and love the eclipse II.

Last edited:
M

m4xwellmurd3r

I bought an Eclipse II probably 5 or 6 months ago and i'm amazed by it haha. I've been using a Gateway USB Keyboard from an all in one system (all in one? what the hell is that?) It's probably an 8-10 year old computer keyboard. the space bar's mounting is broken and is held on with duct tape for it to work. Needless to say it needed a replacement. Got the Eclipse II for 30 bucks (hurray for 50 dollar gift card) The lighting on this thing is awesome. I stay up till 3am every night, so having a bright keyboard is really nice. The red is bright without hurting the eyes, and I have no problems seeing any of the keys (even the little period key) The keys are light, but tactful, and very quiet compared to any other keyboard I've used. The finish is also great, without any wearing at all (I heard the original had some issues, but Saitek addressed them with a tougher coating) this board is definitely a brick. I would have no problem using it to bash someone in the head if they tried to take it from me. media keys work fine, and having the F keys smaller and closer to the top row made it a lot easier when I started playing an MMO that used them. I think the only thing I don't like, is the blue lock keys at the top don't change color with the rest of the keyboard. Oh, and did I say the keys were quiet? Yeah, can't even hear the space bar. which is nice since my old one made a loud TA TACK every time you pressed it. I was looking for a wireless keyboard at first, then realized I didn't need one, and instead got probably the best keyboard for the money. I was thinking of getting a G15, but I really don't have a use for the LCD display.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I bought an Eclipse II probably 5 or 6 months ago and i'm amazed by it haha. I've been using a Gateway USB Keyboard from an all in one system (all in one? what the hell is that?) It's probably an 8-10 year old computer keyboard. the space bar's mounting is broken and is held on with duct tape for it to work. Needless to say it needed a replacement. Got the Eclipse II for 30 bucks (hurray for 50 dollar gift card) The lighting on this thing is awesome. I stay up till 3am every night, so having a bright keyboard is really nice. The red is bright without hurting the eyes, and I have no problems seeing any of the keys (even the little period key) The keys are light, but tactful, and very quiet compared to any other keyboard I've used. The finish is also great, without any wearing at all (I heard the original had some issues, but Saitek addressed them with a tougher coating) this board is definitely a brick. I would have no problem using it to bash someone in the head if they tried to take it from me. media keys work fine, and having the F keys smaller and closer to the top row made it a lot easier when I started playing an MMO that used them. I think the only thing I don't like, is the blue lock keys at the top don't change color with the rest of the keyboard. Oh, and did I say the keys were quiet? Yeah, can't even hear the space bar. which is nice since my old one made a loud TA TACK every time you pressed it. I was looking for a wireless keyboard at first, then realized I didn't need one, and instead got probably the best keyboard for the money. I was thinking of getting a G15, but I really don't have a use for the LCD display.

Hell yeah! I am glad to hear that you like it. Now I wish they would make a wireless version :D