Sabayon Linux RC2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The distro formally known as RR4 is soon to be released, and we have taken a hard first look at what's being offered. Based on Gentoo, Sabayon already has a solid base. Add superb Live DVD functionality and a complete installer, this is one distro worth watching.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here!

R

Rittwik

Thanks for that excellent article....I am waiting for the release...can you tell me what is the minimum requirement of RAM and graphics card (if any)?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh, I am not sure. I will contact the dev and get his input, then post here.

I'd imagine 1GB of ram and at least a midrange card (X600, 6600GT).

U

Unregistered

I like the arttical but I think it missing a little info, I would have like to know if the new sabayon linux use experimantly driver(The old one did if i not mistaken). Dose any one know if it still dose?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What do you mean by experimental drivers? If you mean by kernel drivers, then yes a few I am sure. For instance, sky2 is still considered experimental, even 8 months after it's been debuted in the kernel.

I didn't go hardcore with the info in the article because this is a rather simple distro to get into, and in-depth info like that would not be for everyone. So... the kernel is up to date, but anything experimental in there would be out of Sabayons control. They could use an old version of the kernel, but that would defeat the purpose of an up to date OS.

U

Unregistered

the old release rr4 2.65.1 website sayed they use experimantaly drive at the time and it scard the crap out off me. If I understude thing right they where talking about reseirf and ntfs wich probbly listed as experimently in the kerrnel(I did not look in to it).I was refering it to what ever they ment, I was reading there website at that time and was trying to "" them buy memory. Considering your aud-e-ance is those who would want to use saybon(And saybon if I'm not mistaken is targeting new user who want gentoo running with easy) I would think a short mettion of stabbility of the kerrnel driver like reseirf4 in the new saybon deserve a line or (two not much more then that thou).

Please note I not trying to critise your arttical it is very good and is still the only
one i can find on the net(that cover the new rc2 distro) and over all very indepth. PLease keep the good work up ,and don't be affended buy my comment.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I wasn't aware of anything experimental going on. This -is- a noobies Linux to a degree, so I am not sure why Ixnay would risk anything he throws in there.

I don't recall NTFS support when I was using it, if you mean ntfs3g or something. As for reiser, I was sure the OS installed ext3 partitions, but I could be wrong. Reiser is fine though, I've never run into problems with it.

I don't think you should let the experimental thing scare you off. After the half day of using it, I didn't run into a single issue. If there is anything experimental in there, it's probably considered stable to most, I would assume.

U

Unregistered

I did not put the above correctly, I don't know for sure there was NTFS in the old rr4 or not I just ment to use it as an example. I think it was but not sure I'm trying to go buy memorry(wich is not all that good at times). I read in the forms someware(I think it was reactos) that they have limmit ntfs read write support for the kernel but is beta. And the same go's for reserf I not sure if they where useing experimntly driver or not at that time.

I think the current release (I beleave it said something to the like of, You can use reserf4 but you have to enable it with a boot flag) so I gusseing that they don't use experimnatly driver anymore. Since the time when they release it I beleave reserf4 was beta.

Sorry for any cunfusion that i might cause no matter how much I prof-read my stuff
I can't seem to get thing write.

Again thank for writing a good artical and you fast replys.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, if you are referring to NTFS write.. then yes that's definitely experimental. I personally wouldn't give it a try right now, although the ntfs3g project looks hopeful. NTFS read is completely stable though.

Haha, no worries about the poor writing. Only one way to get better :p

Give Sabayon a try though... you don't have anything to worry about. If you see anything you don't like, just get rid of it :)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
/me repartitions the partition and checks it out

Really though, I've wanted to check out more than a basic Gentoo distro and I'm going to give Sabayon a try.

U

Unregistered

saw the live dvd and read your article...

Hello

I am a new user in the Linux world and enjoying the experience immensely. Loaded sidux on my laptop a couple of months ago and am ready to dump Vista completely.
Was thinking of Sabayon to replace. How familiar with Gentoo do you need to be? Can you load Sabayon and learn Gentoo from that starting point?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You don't need to be familiar with Gentoo at all, to be honest, unless you want to update applications and the system through the package manager. Normally, whenever a new version of SL is released, you can just download and upgrade using it, which will take care of all the updates. SL normally uses near-bleeding-edge software, so you shouldn't really need to update at all, unless you yourself like to keep as up to date as possible.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_portage_5
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Emerge

You might want to take a look at those two pages to get a basic understanding of how the Gentoo package manager (Portage) works, using the emerge command. I use Gentoo proper, and would have a difficult time leaving it, because I find Portage to be one of the most robust package managers around (although at times I'd like to kick it, they all have their faults).

Regardless of that, don't let the word Gentoo scare you off. Give it a download, you will not likely regret it.

U

Unregistered

thanks for the quick and friendly response...just have to pull some files off of windows then bye bye vista! My other favorite thing about getting into Linux is the community and their generousity in sharing info and giving support -- far FAR exceeds above and beyond the tech support at MS.
thanks again :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's what happens when you use an OS created by the community, for the community :)

Enjoy the OS, I have a good feeling you will love it.