Richard Stallman Warns Against Nonfree DRM'd Steam on Linux

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
When Valve a couple of weeks ago announced that it has been working on a Steam client for Linux, we stressed just how big of a deal it is for users of the OS. Gaming has always been a sour point for Linux, and still is in some regards on OS X - at least compared to Windows. But with a company like Valve behind both OSes, things are beginning to look up. We might very well have a day in the future when Windows isn't the de factor gaming OS.

steam_november_2011_111011_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

MacMan

Partition Master
You make points that are hard to argue with, and I agree with you 100% on this one. I think, as a Linux user myself, it's great to see more games coming to Linux. Free games are great, but generally speaking I find paid games to be better still, after all, 'the workman is worthy of his hire."

Personally, I may not be much of a gamer myself, I don't think having a bunch-of-em would convince me to switching to Linux full-time, but it's a start, and a good one at that.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think the same thing can be said to all software. There are exceptions of course, but for whatever reason, I end up playing games that are not free, because I'm more interested in a richer experience. Free or indie games are fine in small doses, but I find I get bored quick compared to the beefier, commercial games.

I'll be honest in saying that I am not too concerned with Linux usage growing... I just want to be able to rely on Windows even less, since I tend to prefer Linux for various reasons. This is truly the first time in quite a while where I feel a renewed sense of hope that the future Linux desktop has massive potential.