RFID-Encrypted Hard Drive Enclosure - Perfect for Security Buffs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It seems like RFID technology is being thrown around everywhere, and well, that's because it really is. It's now in everything from credit cards, to name badges, to car license plates (in Europe) to test papers and even people! Needless to say, not everyone likes the fact that RFID is all over the place, and I'm with that crowd. Privacy is next-to-nil with them, but many argue that the benefits outweigh the burdens.

I will be the first to admit that RFID has it's uses, though, and here's a perfect example. Sharkoon has just released a new 2.5" hard drive enclosure that not only uses 128-bit AES encryption, it also includes a key fob that attaches to your keychain... and of course, it contains an RFID chip. Without this key fob, the data on the hard drive will remain encrypted and unusable, even if the drive is hooked up directly to a computer. In order to go that route, the drive will first need to be unlocked with use of the RFID key fob and then hooked up to the machine.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not. US release is not mentioned in the press release, but it will soon be available in Europe for a mere €34.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
sharkoon_swift_rfid_enclosure_011708.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
In order to offer customers the best possible protection against data thieves, Sharkoon is expanding its Swift-Case line up of external hard drive enclosures by adding a model with RFID access control. The Sharkoon Swift-Case Securita for 2.5" SATA hard drives comes equipped with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology that protects against unauthorized access. Within the silver aluminium enclosure sits a RFID transceiver that responds solely to the accompanying RFID transponder. The transponder comes in a simple plastic fob design that attaches securely to key chains.

Source: Sharkoon

This... is quite cool, I have to admit. It seems like such simple protection - all you need to do is haul around the key fob, and who doesn't take their keys with them everywhere anyway? I am not sure if Sharkoon is the first one with a product like this, but I'm sure they will not be the last, either.