Resurrecting Mediaeval

marfig

No ROM battery
Hello everyone,

Sometime around late last year, I started to think seriously in my entry into game development as a side-business to my main activity as software developer. In July this year, when it became evident I required another source of income, I've pretty much decided for it. Ever since I've been developing a business plan for the next 2 years that include the release in September to October of an old project (and an old dream) I'm resurrecting from the ashes.

This game is called Mediaeval and it's a grand strategy PBeM (play by email) game meant to be played by up to 150 players at the same time. It's a client-server software, with players downloading the Windows -- and soon after to be ported, Linux -- client which they can use to oversee their country or empire, plan with other players, issue orders and receive back reports from the server after these orders are processed.

The project as it was in 2007 can be seen here: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/game-programming/93290-mediaeval-play-email-beta.html

I'm moving into to newer technologies and programming language (DirectX, C# and WPF) for the creation of a game-like interface that is more modern and pleasant to the eye. Players will have to subscribe and pay an yearly fee to play the game. The server can hold multiple games. Each game can last for years of real time. It is in my best interest to gather players and build a community. So for the first year after release the game will be free to anyone. After that the game will always remain free to the TG community for members with more than 20 forum posts. This isn't meant as a real source of income.

In January or February, after I'm trough the alpha stage, I'll start a Developer Diary blog that will document the game development.

Mediaeval is however a pet project (that I always wanted to develop, but a pet project nonetheless). During the whole year I'm working on it, I'll be also studying all I can about DirectX and 3D development since my plan for an indie studio can only be put in motion after that is covered. Sometime in early 2013 I plan to start the development of a "real" game, of which I already have a sketchy design for.

I'm posting this as an official announcement to let the community at TG know they now have a game developer member and to publicize my intentions. But also to learn from you, if you ever played PBeMs, how you feel about grand strategy games, and how much do you appreciate the idea of joining both in a sort of mass multiplayer strategy game.

Cheers.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Sounds interesting! Have you thought about having the client entirely browser-based? HTML5 and WebGL -- cross-platform, easily updated, and users don't have to download anything. I've been thinking about it ....

marfig

No ROM battery
Have you thought about having the client entirely browser-based? HTML5 and WebGL -- cross-platform, easily updated, and users don't have to download anything. I've been thinking about it ....

Nah, not gonna happen. Not interested in a browser game. The game will stay true to multiplayer server-based grand strategy PBeM games of old. Will be a modern rendition for sure, with a modern client. But a play-by-email game nonetheless, down to the protocol. Players can choose to configure the game client to send and receive emails with the game orders and reports, or just import these attachments from their regular email client.