Reproted Illegal Tatics

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
[rant]

As silly as it sounds, I built my AMD system after owning 3 Intel C2D systems because I was sick of the rampant fanboyism (on other forums) expressed in every thread about how great Intel is and how bad AMD is. You cannot find any large forum around without 9 out of 10 people chanting about Intel and how AMD is gonna go bust tomorrow. Most of these "kids" are barely over 16 and think they understand everything. Personally, I don't like Intel as a corporation, and I have never liked these types of tactics when it comes to sales. I have wanted to purchase a decent cheap laptop for a long time, yet teh only ones with decent graphics cards are Intel equipped. Shows just how right this article is and that the CEO of AMD isn't just looking for sympathy or free publicity. Intel could hand out their stuff for free and I would take a pass, just becuase I will never like them in any form of their existence.

[/end rant]

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
AMD is not selling a lot of CPU's simply because Intel's are better, that's all there is too it, really. If AMD released a CPU to trample over the C2D, you can be sure you'd see a complete vice versa. If AMD put as much effort into their CPU's as they do whining about the competition, maybe we'd have a C2D killer by now.

That aside, I hate fanboyism of any sort, and for those against AMD, screw them. AMD will come back eventually with a kick-ass release and prove to people that they are not dead. They are far from it. If Intel is guilty of anything, then I hope they get busted for it. Unfair competition is just wrong.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I completely agree that Intel is on top right now, but a nice mid-high end laptop could be built with AMD offerings. I realize I would be one of a few that would buy one, so I don't expect to see one anytime soon.

I just hope Intel gets it shove up it's arse soon if this is true. It just reeks of monopoly and things like this are not good for us, the consumers.

NicePants42

Partition Master
AMD is not selling a lot of CPU's simply because Intel's are better, that's all there is too it, really. If AMD released a CPU to trample over the C2D, you can be sure you'd see a complete vice versa.
Yet the Opterons kicked the crap out of Northwood, and all AMD got was a few more points of market share. If they'd been able to keep the good designs coming, they wouldn't have lost their momentum and be stuck in their current state, but it's going to take more than better performance for AMD to stay ahead because they are under much more pressure to make money on every CPU they sell. I'd be surprised if Intel has never used illegal marketing tactics, but all that aside, having fewer financial worries than your competition means that you have some leeway with pricing - Opterons STILL aren't cheap compared to similar performing (ha!) dual core CPUs.

AMD will come back eventually with a kick-ass release and prove to people that they are not dead.
I hope for the sake of the consumer that you are right.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Another observation I'd make on the situation is that AMD does way less marketing (oriented toward the electronics consumer) than Intel, so there's probably a good deal less brand recognition for AMD these days. This means AMD can only do well in the consumer market in situations where their product offers obviously better price/performance ratio over the Intel competition. The goofy new AMD naming structure probably won't help things, because now it's even _less_ based upon performance than it was before.