Report: iPad 3 to Have 2048x1536 Resolution Display

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Long before Apple launched its iPad 2, it's been rumored that the company has been working with certain manufacturers to make sure a super high-resolution display finds its way into a future iPad. According to sources close to CNET, such a display will be making its way into the iPad 3, despite its low yields.

ipad_2_112811.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
I believe this will be the 'professional iPad', designed mostly for professional photographers, including video, and other business specialties, and, of course, rich white folk who have more money to burn than little old me.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That sounds reasonable. I do know that I like the idea of a super high-res screen, but the price might be the determining factor. I remember the first time I used a notebook equipped with a 17" screen at 1920x1080... it was pure heaven.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Yes. I also like those notebooks with 1920x1080. I do not like the struggle of trying to use one while traveling tho. When I do get to the destination, the large display works nicely to use something like logmein.com for remote accessing the desktops & the CAD graphics. Unfortunately the cheap (as notebooks go) Toshibas I buy don't last long.:mad: Wifi connectivity is a chronic problem for instance.

I have been on the fence about just staying with low end 17" notebooks versus trying out a tablet of some kind. I do have a NookColor & is fine for the 100s of references I have collected ... even an actual book or 4. But the ereader's screen size is too small & too low resolution for practical remote access. Yes, logmein.com does work on Windows, Android, & Apple!

So I am interested in experimenting before a buy of a high resolution iPad. It will be interesting to investigate the usability of 27" 1920x1080 CAD on 10" 2048x1536.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As I said on another site... I love how the iPad and future tablets are quoted to get 1080p displays, yet ultrabooks and most laptops that have larger displays are stuck at 768p resolutions. :mad:

Thankfully there was a report that Acer and ASUS had teamed up to "convert" some suppliers over to higher resolution laptop displays, which should pop up in time for Ivy Bridge laptops...