Razer Diamondback over G5?

linnerd40

Obliviot
Hello!
A few months ago I purchased a Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse. The mouse is absolutely amazing, and has done wonders for my gaming performance. HOWEVER, there is one thing that I can't stand at all about it, and basically hate the mouse for it: the scroll wheel. I have never used such a downright horrible scroll wheel. It is loud, uneven, and has an unpredictable behavior. First question: should I try and return this mouse and get a new one of the same type? OR, should I buy a new mouse and just accept that I wasted $40? The mouse I am looking at is the Razer Diamondback. It looks like an excellent mouse, and I would like to know if it matches up well to the G5. I have heard that the side buttons are rather cumbersome, but are they better than the G5's single (rather pitiful) thumb button?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
As an owner of many Logitech mice, I have honestly never had a problem with it. Well, I take that back. My G7 had to be RMA'd due to battery issues but with your G5, you will never encounter this problem.

I would try to return it as you may of simply got a flaky mouse. If your still not satisfied with the performance, you can try the Razer or you can try another Logitech mouse. We have reviewed many Razer mice in the past and while we liked them all, they are light and honestly feel "cheaper" because of this when compared to the Logitech products.

It's up to you. If you like the feel of the G5, try returning it and see if you just had the bad luck of getting a foul mouse. If that doesn't do anything for you, then get the Razer. Perhaps you would like the ambidextrous feel better than the kidney bean shaped Logitech.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I've also had lots of Logitech mice, G5 included. I'm not a big fan is the scroll wheel either, but just because it stands out a bit too much and it clicks hard (not loud) when rolling it. So I gave it to my girl and got the MX518 for me.

Still today the Logitech MX518 is my favorite mouse.

linnerd40

Obliviot
I wouldn't mind it clicking hard... but it just way to loud and unruly. Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can return it.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I'm a Diamondback owner (the original, Acid Green), and I'm definitely a fan, though the mouse's design is fairly simple, and the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh buttons (which are side-mounted) are not very ergonomic. If you need a great three-button clicker, and only use the extra buttons occasionally, the Diamondback is a good way to go. Some woodgrain finishes still confuse its optical sensor, but that's true of just about every optical mouse I've tested.