Razer Barracuda Headset

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You are right when saying that after a while, they do get uncomfortable. My ears were not pinned down per se, but rather, the headphones would press on the pressure point just under my ear and it would get quite uncomfortable after a while. They aren't a bad headset when you think that it's Razer's first headset, but compared to others, they are over priced and uncomfortable. I am still using my Steel 5 headphones and to this day, they sound amazing.

G

Grenadier31

I recently purchased one of these headsets after needing to mute my speakers so my wife could sleep without waking in the night thinking there was a tank rolling through the house....

..I must say, even though they are tight on the head and cause my jaw to get a little stiff, which is already starting to "break in" of sorts, I wouldn't give these up for anything!

As far as the review, where it was said that these lack decent bass, I must disagree. First I'm going to assume that either Razer has updated the quality of the speakers in these headsets, or the sound card used and/or it's configuration did not have "Bass Redirection" or otherwise refered to as "LFE Crossover" enabled.

I'm using this headset with a SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card, with my 'Bass Redirection' / 'Crossover Frequency' (bass cutoff frequency) set at 80Hz (as recommended to be the THX standard)...and I have to tell you my ears could never feel this much bass even at a car-audio competition in downtown Detroit!!!

I admit, at first I was very discouraged as I heard very little bass, nor could I really get a feel for any directional audio. Naturally, I had merely plugged the headset into my card and expected it to rock with no effort on my part. ~wrong~

My sound card, the mixer, and everything pertaining to my surround sound had been configured for use with my speakers (minus the bass settings, in which I had none to begin with because my wife doesn't like the house to rattle). After setting my card up for use with this headset, the quality of the bass and directional audio began to shine through like sun after a rain storm.

I can now set this headset on my desktop with volume a little over half way and turn on Independance Day (awesome sound fx)......and my headset will letteraly vibrate itself off my desk and onto my chair...all while I can almost clearly hear what is happening in the movie from across the room!

In addition, I recently disected my headset to fix a rattle I had appearantly caused by letting it dance across my desk....I noticed the cross-support 'tubes' ontop are small flattened metal bars encased in what we see as the plastic tube, and in the two weeks I've had these...they have already started to relax (thus alleviating some of that pressure on my grape).

To sum up my long-winded post, again..either Razer upgraded the quality of their speakers, or a setting was overlooked on the sound card....this headset provides some of the clearest audio I could expect from a set of headphones all while delivering above average directional audio, and bass that could rattle your fillings loose! You only have to suffer in terms of price and discomfort for several weeks (again, as in my case, until the bars start relaxing/stretching).

I hope this helps. :)

p.s. I think I crit myself when I got the bass figured out, I was that impressed!

L

lucuias

comparison

which would be the batter choice Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headset or medusa 5.1 progamer addition v2?

D

DrLife

razer headset

I bought my first razer headset at tiger direct. about three months ago.

I am using an on board audio so I did not expect overwhelming results.

What I did not expect was a screw coming off of the headset with the mic in it.

Its a tiny tiny tiny screw. To make matters worse what the screw ....screws into fell into the headset...........

Yep INTO the headset.

My second one now has done the same thing

Anyone have this problem?

U

Unregistered

Connection Problem

I purchased the HP1s without much research and completely wrong info from the guy at the store so I thought they could be connected through a USB connection on my laptop. Being that that isn't true and my laptop only has the standard 3.5mm stereo headphone and mic jacks and optical output, is there any way to connect these things to my computer? I know I can't connect them to the optical out without a digital to analog converter but is is possible there's a cheap one out there or something? Or maybe a USB adapter?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not following you. Looking at the reivew, the HP1 comes with the standard 3.5mm audio jacks, so as you said the laptop has these then there shouldn't be any problem?

If you want 3.5mm jacks to USB adapters, they make all sorts... LINK

V

venvenae

speaker and headphone sound

Bought these today. I like to play with game sounds in speakers and vent/ts sounds in headphones. I cannot get it to work this way. I called Razer and they said that it is not possible to have this setup. GG. there goes 125 buck plus a protection plan from bestbuy down the drain.

Can anyone recomend a headset that is capible of this? I like the way the design of the headband part. I have used the plantronics headset for the last year but dont like how eveyone around me can hear what Im hearing

U

Unregistered

clarification

I reread my last message and it was a bit unclear at the end. What I meant by everyone else around me hearing what Im hearing, was when I wear the Plantronics headset people around me can actually hear what is comming from the headset when Im wearing it. I know people will be able to hear my speaker sound :)

V

venvenae

It has been some time and noone has answered.

From looking around online I found that the Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2 is supposed to do what I want but saw some bad customer reviews for it, and am also thinking that the Speed Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset may do as well but Im not certain still and havnt looked at their customer reviews.

Any imput would be awesome

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I have never done what you are talking about, but I own a pair of HPA2's and absolutely love them.
The foam on the ear cup is a little weak, so it can fatigue the ear area after several hours, but the sound quality has been superb with these old ears!

I'm no audiophile, so take my statements with a grain of salt. But from a gaming standpoint, and a music standpoint, I have really come to like these headphones (came off of a set of Sony MDR-V800's that I LOVED....).

-=TD