Ratpadz XT

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's been a while since we've seen a new Ratpadz release, but here we have the XT. It's an update to the original, which is designed to be very sturdy while offering you a slick surface to give you precise control.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It certainly resembles the func mousepad in shape... kind of. The price is hard to beat too. Good review.

U

Unregistered

Ratpadz and the trademark shape was around long before Func came onto the scene. :) We wanted a bigger pad back in 2000, but also wanted it to be affordable, so we made it as big as we could fit in a Priority Mail shipping envelope. Put the sweeping cutaway on the bottom for comfort.

Kyle Bennett
Ratpadz Founder

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It's that cutaway at the bottom that makes it resemble the func. It certainly looks like a killer pad and I like the all black look with the rounded edges. Well done.

U

Unregistered

Are these pads anything like the old everglide mouse pads that are like cutting boards? I'd love to have something like that again but I haven't found anyone who still makes them.

U

Unregistered

Wow, he is playing hl2 episode 2 before its released. He must be l33t.

K

KnightTemplar

I own a GS and it is a terrible product, wore out in months.

I'm told the XT is tons better, has there been considerable wear?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't speak of long-term usage, because I only use that pad on my gaming/benchmarking PC... and I only use it a few times a day. I still love it though. It's just too rough (literally, it bugs my palm) for me to use as an everyday pad.

J

JohnTodd

I bought mine back in 2001, and am still using it!

Yes, they last a long, long time. Clean them with saddlesoap to clean and lubricate them.

Saddlesoap is available at your local discount store right next to the shoe polish.

Ratpadz doesn't endorse the saddlesoap thing, it's just something I thought of a few years ago.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Whoa, eight years is impressive :) I'm still using mine as well on our benchmarking PC... it still looks new!

J

JohnTodd

Whoa, eight years is impressive :) I'm still using mine as well on our benchmarking PC... it still looks new!

Mine has a worn area in the middle. It gives me just a touch of drag, which I actually like. You get used to that little bit of drag because it helps "dampen" your shakey, adrenaline-filled hand. It smooths out my actions that way, so my sniper shots (still playing Quake 3:Arena!) are even more accurate than before.

The worn area is hardly visible, though. I have to point it out to people or they won't see it.

Got a new Intellimouse coming. Wore out the left switch on mine.

J

JohnTodd

OK, I got my new mouse; it is a Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 USB, the same type I had before.

With the new mouse, the worn area in the Ratpadz is irrelevant. Lubricity and precision has come back just like the day I bought the Ratpadz. SO, it wasn't the worn area in the pad, it was the mouse!

So if your Ratpadz isn't as slick as it was, maybe your mouse sucks?

Next time I saddlesoap the Ratpadz I think my mouse may slide right off!

Best of luck to all. This has been a great thread. Does anybody bother to read this or am I talking to myself again? ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have no doubts that the mouse is to blame for a lot of unsmooth cursor movement. I've been using a Func Archtype pad for about three years, and once in a while the tracking on my G5 mouse will go awry and I'll have to slam it to get it to work right again. Of course, the cord (covered with a material) is frayed, I "I'm a frayed" that I'm just going to have to get a new one.

J

JohnTodd

Yeah, sometimes one must spend money. I hate it.

The girlfriend has been converted over to the Intellimouse/Ratpadz combo now. She is anxiously awaiting delivery.