RAM Question

onevalefan

Obliviot
Hey guys,

First of all :

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: KX644AA-ABV m9373.me
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/21/08 11:00:40 Ver: 5.23
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
NVIDIA 9800GT
Display Memory: 2797 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB

The factory standard RAM installed is installed in 4 banks, 1gb cards. (4 x 1)

I want to upgrade one slot to a 6gb or so card, but I can't find anywhere, even on HP's website, a list of RAM types that are compatible.

The RAM installed now is:

SAMSUNG 1GB 1Rx8 PC2
6400U / 666 / 12 / ZZ
M378T2863Q25 / -CF7 / 0813

Any PC2 Samsung Ram will work?

Thanks!

(And please don't ask me about bios, my brother set a random password and I can't find the CMOS switch on the motherboard)

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I Googled the model number & found this. Not very helpful. I ran the model number thru the Corsair system memory lookup on their web site & could not find your system ... I know that you are asking about Samsung memory but Corsair does a reasonable memory lookup system.

This is would not be my last effort, but i will say "no, the system cannot be upgraded" And, very likely not in the way that you propose anyway ... adding a 6GB stick, if such a thing exists. Also, I will bet anything that you will need access to bios at some point.

This will be worth a call to HP support & be ready for South Asian accents. Just ask if the memory can be upgraded in any possible way. If so, then that is good news. Get the HP model numbers & come back here & someone here can probably tell you how to get some reasonably priced compatible RAM. While you have them on the phone, get them to tell you how to clear the password.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Product Main

Specifications

Maximum your system can take is 8GB, thats 4x2GB DDR2-800, so you will need to replace all module for 8GB. You can get 6GB if you wish be replacing 2 of the dimms with 2GB modules, but you can not get a single 6GB module, only 1, 2, 4 and 8GB modules are available, but your system will only handle 2GB modules (usually a chipset limitation). But any DDR2-800 (PC2-6400), 240 pin modules will work, doesn't have to be samsung (though a lot of memory makers will use samsung memory anyway).

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Download http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and look at the Memory tab to see the details about your RAM. Take the "DRAM Frequency" and then double it to see what speed your RAM is at.

As Tharic said you can only use 2GB modules... 4GB modules exist but cost far to much for desktop users right now.