Quick impression of the HAF X

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last month, I made a post regarding tentative changes to our graphics card test suite, and also mentioned that some of our hardware would be upgraded. At that time, I contemplated moving the parts into a new chassis, and after cluing into the fact that the TJ10 simply does not support triple-GPU configurations, I decided to seek out a replacement.

After a recommendation from our beloved SSD editor Robert Tanner, I took a look at the HAF X and all that it offered, and was sold. So, I got one in just last week, and wasted no time in transplanting the parts over. Why did I settle on this chassis? For one, it's very roomy, and supports triple-GPU without an issue, and like Corsair's chassis, it also features superb cable management capabilities. One thing I liked most, though, was the massive fan that's situated on the door, sucking in cool air from the room and blowing it right onto the GPU's. That should prove useful for overclocking for sure.

I have to apologize for the crap photos here... I'm lacking room here big time (I literally can almost reach our test PC's from my work PC, which is the Sniper you see in the picture). Regardless, you can easily see just how spacious the chassis is, and how clean the completed installation looks.

hafx_01.jpg
hafx_02.jpg
hafx_03.jpg

It looks like there's a bit of a rats nest next to the PSU there, but there's still quite a bit of room. At one point, I had a bunch of the wiring there tied up, but had to untie it due to a hardware change I had to make. Overall, I love this chassis quite a bit, it's great to look at, and is HUGE!

There is just one thing I don't like... the wheels. Yes, it comes with wheels... wheels that require four screws each. When I saw that, I figured, "Geez, these should be some sturdy wheels". Well, not on carpet they're not. The first inch that I pushed that chassis back, one of the wheels immediately broke. So no, they're not meant for carpet. Even then, it seems weird to have one break so easily just because of thin carpet :-/

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That's a sharp looking case. I don't know how I feel about that much plastic but it's deffinately a looker on the inside.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
very nice chassis! i would buy it, but rather save for more important stuff like, a new i5 or i7 configuration! :D

hey Rob a quick question, (u had the Centurion 590 so) i'll be installing a Cooler Master V8 soon so do u think there will be space for the side panel fan infront of the cpu or will i have to remove it to make room for the V8?!?

Last edited:

x.clay

Obliviot
nice case- the HAF-X has some nice features. The cable management looks excellent. I'm sorry to hear about the wheel breaking. I hope they are easy to fix or swap out for something a little stonger.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Greg King said:
That's a sharp looking case. I don't know how I feel about that much plastic but it's deffinately a looker on the inside.

I agree to some extent, but on the other hand, I appreciate it, because even with all this plastic, the chassis is not that light, haha. It all feels quite sturdy as well, so there's no issues there.

Doomsday said:
hey Rob a quick question, (u had the Centurion 590 so) i'll be installing a Cooler Master V8 soon so do u think there will be space for the side panel fan infront of the cpu or will i have to remove it to make room for the V8?!?

I wish I could help you here, but I really have no idea whatsoever. I am not that familiar with the 590 (the only CM chassis I've owned has been the Sniper I'm using now), so I'm not sure what to recommend. It would be very strange to me that the company would allow a fan there if it couldn't fit with most coolers out there, especially its own, so you shouldn't have a problem. But even if you have to remove the fan, it's probably not going to affect much, since that cooler is rather robust and should make up for the lack of a fan there.

x.clay said:
The cable management looks excellent. I'm sorry to hear about the wheel breaking

Tell me about it... it's strange as heck. I have a feeling it was a faulty wheel, because I've moved the chassis around a bit (being careful) and haven't even come close to feeling like one was going to break. I'll get a replacement eventually I'm sure... not to mention a secondary fan for up top, since I didn't realize the chassis didn't come with one.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob, I made the comment about the plastic because I have been in love with the Corsair cases since I first saw them. I love how they look and everything about them... aside from the price :)

Concerning the wheel, I wonder if they sell replacements. I also wonder how difficult it would be to create your own feet and attach them using the same mounting holes. Either way, what a hassle.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I wish I could help you here, but I really have no idea whatsoever. I am not that familiar with the 590 (the only CM chassis I've owned has been the Sniper I'm using now), so I'm not sure what to recommend. It would be very strange to me that the company would allow a fan there if it couldn't fit with most coolers out there, especially its own, so you shouldn't have a problem. But even if you have to remove the fan, it's probably not going to affect much, since that cooler is rather robust and should make up for the lack of a fan there.

woopsy! my bad, the case was reviewed by William Kelly. But u be right, V8 wont have an issue without the side fan! :D