Quick-Gage: Kingston 16GB DataTraveler Locker+

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It may seem like a given that personal data should be kept secure, and for the most part, achieving that goal on a home PC isn't too difficult. But, what about a thumb drive? Kingston's DataTraveler Locker+ is designed in such a way that if someone ever finds your thumb drive, they'll never be able to access the data. Ever.

You can read the review here and discuss it here.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
this is nice! talk bout security!

i have a corsair 8gb... kingston was cheaper so should have gone for the kingston 16gb... ah well,

one thing, over here we didnt use anti viruses... Just stay off useless sites and dont open Spam emails ..
so now that almost every one has a USB stick, they r walking virus sticks, lol! and now i just Have to buy an anti virus software cause my PC has been affected 3 times in the last 4 months and i cant keep using Trial versions cause they be useles once expired.. hehe! i dont wanna wipe off my C drive hdd and install a new windows again n again! lol!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Doomsday said:
so now that almost every one has a USB stick, they r walking virus sticks, lol!

That's absolutely true. I borrowed my mom's thumb drive a couple of weeks ago to get something off, and she even had a virus on that. I cleaned it out for her and told her about it, but it's hard to prevent it from happening if people keep downloading things without thinking about it. Nowadays, a lot of things come straight from Facebook, and people think it's not because they naively believe Facebook is safe...

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Safe my ass, after reading Wired's hunt for their missing editor event it's not safe at all. Which makes for a great read if not heard about yet....

I will say it's rather scary how you give them zero information, yet Facebook manages to find certain people as friend recommendations, I still wonder just where they pooled some of that personal info from to generate those lists.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I will say it's rather scary how you give them zero information, yet Facebook manages to find certain people as friend recommendations, I still wonder just where they pooled some of that personal info from to generate those lists.

Even if you don't add a single friend? I thought it simply went through your friend's list to find out who knows who, and then it assumes you might know someone. There's more to it than that?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Even if you don't add a single friend? I thought it simply went through your friend's list to find out who knows who, and then it assumes you might know someone. There's more to it than that?

Way way more. They are buying databases of info and cross referencing them I'm sure. I had zero friends on my placeholder Facebook account when I created it, yet it recommended more than a dozen people I've never met and don't know that share common interests with me. Peculiar interests that Facebook should've never known about, because they had zero information from me to go on.

Considering I refused to allow Facebook to tie itself into my browser, Gmail, or MSN accounts despite its nagging I don't know where it gets its data from, but they're getting it from somewhere. :rolleyes:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Way way more. They are buying databases of info and cross referencing them I'm sure. I had zero friends on my placeholder Facebook account when I created it, yet it recommended more than a dozen people I've never met and don't know that share common interests with me. Peculiar interests that Facebook should've never known about, because they had zero information from me to go on.

Considering I refused to allow Facebook to tie itself into my browser, Gmail, or MSN accounts despite its nagging I don't know where it gets its data from, but they're getting it from somewhere. :rolleyes:

no need for spy satellites! :eek:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar said:
Way way more. They are buying databases of info and cross referencing them I'm sure. I had zero friends on my placeholder Facebook account when I created it, yet it recommended more than a dozen people I've never met and don't know that share common interests with me.

That doesn't surprise me... Google uses the same tactics in its own services, usually. Not quite sure how Facebook gathers that kind of information, but it's something to think about.

liqnit

E.M.I.

I agree, Facebook found some people i never met and when i don't select any of them to be friend every log in it tries some new random people...:cool:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree, Facebook found some people i never met and when i don't select any of them to be friend every log in it tries some new random people...:cool:

That's just how its algorithm works. It could be that two people you know happen to know the same person, so it assumes that you might as well. My list is like that, at least. There are a lot of people it recommends who I've never spoken to, and some people I just don't want to add for other reasons. It's simple technology, but scary at the same time in some regards.