Q6600 vs. E8400

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Heavily depends on usage, but I would still prefer a Quad over a dual core for a small bit of future-proofing.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
If you had your choice of these two processors for an upgrade which one would you choose and why?
2.4 vs 3.0
E8400 very overclockable, runs cooler and Dual core.
6600 quad core at 2.4, quads run hotter, you have to remember that they are multitasking
Running multiple programs at the same time. all the time, Go with the quad core.

Myself, I would prefer a faster processor with two cores over a slower four core.

But, thats just me
Notice in my signature, I run an E8400 at 4.0 on a Zalman 9700 LED
you wont get that with a Q6600

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
2.4 vs 3.0
6600 quad core at 2.4, quads run hotter, you have to remember that they are multitasking
Running multiple programs at the same time. all the time, Go with the quad core.

Myself, I would prefer a faster processor with two cores over a slower four core.

But, thats just me

You won't get that with a Quad and the 9700 for sure, but there are quite a few water cooling guys getting over 4Ghz with a good Q6600 and even more with the Q9550/Q9650.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
You won't get that with a Quad and the 9700 for sure, but there are quite a few water cooling guys getting over 4Ghz with a good Q6600 and even more with the Q9550/Q9650.

hey, why did u go for the E7200?!? have u overclocked it!?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
hey, why did u go for the E7200?!? have u overclocked it!?

I got it for $140 and it is running perfectly at 3.8GHz with 1.4V Vcore 24/7 no issues. Cost was the whole reason as I was out of money at the point it came for the CPU and I was on a strict budget.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I got it for $140 and it is running perfectly at 3.8GHz with 1.4V Vcore 24/7 no issues. Cost was the whole reason as I was out of money at the point it came for the CPU and I was on a strict budget.

That is such a wicked overclock, if stable. So much value packed into that small CPU, you are lucky it doesn't explode ;-)

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
2.4 vs 3.0

But, thats just me

Merlin,

When I bought my Q6600, I read where I should be looking for the G0 stepping. Does the E8400 have a particular stepping that I should look for? I thought i saw a C0 when I looked at the recommended cpu's for a Gigabyte mother board. Thanks.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If you already have a Q6600 it makes no logical sense at all to get a E8400. That is not an upgrade by any standards.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you already have a Q6600 it makes no logical sense at all to get a E8400. That is not an upgrade by any standards.

Agreed. Just overclock the Q6600 as high as you can make it stable and stick with it. Still a great CPU.

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Sorry guys, by bad. This processor is for a second computer that I take to LAN parties. I am planning on replacing the MB, RAM, CPU, and possibly the heat sink. Make sense now?:eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah to be honest, I'd recommend the Quad. Just overclock it a little bit and you'll almost match the E8400 in terms of single-threaded speed.