PSU testers

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
I have been looking at the Rexus and Antec digital psu testers on Newegg. Have you guys every used these devices? If so do they work well? Thanks.

dlb

Obliviot
I haven't used those particular testers, but I have used a CoolMax tester and several "generic" testers. I strongly recommend using a tester with a display that shows the actual voltage readings for each rail (like this one from CoolMax). The cheaper testers simply have an LED that lights up when it gets voltage. The voltage could be off by quite a bit, or even be jumping around and you wouldn't know it because the LED will light up as long as it gets just enough volts to light, even if it gets too much juice, it still lights up. If you can see the actual numbers for each rail's voltage, you get an accurate picture of what's going on.

(yeah- I know CoolMax makes really poor PSUs, but their tester is OK ;) )

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to our forums, dlb!

I agree, that PSU tester from CoolMax looks solid. I haven't owned a PSU tester, because most often, if a PSU gives me issues, it's because it died ;-) I just have luck like that.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have the CoolMax & think it is fine. I got it because it is cheap and I could not find pinout to start the PSU externally. If I could have started it externally, I could used a DVM that i have to check out the voltages directly.

Since, I have discovered this link from Seasonic so if you are comfortable with electronics and already have a DVM or might have need for one, you might find that more helpful. If you are not comfortable using the shorting pin & testing ... get the CoolMax. It is something of a go/no-go tester which fundamentally is all you care about.