PSU Suggestion Required!

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
Hi,

It might not be right place but i need suggestion for my PSU.

Si I'll start off with my system's specs:
Core i7 920 @4.41Ghz @1.4v
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Corsair XMS3 @2000Mhz @8-8-8-20
XFX GTS 250 1GB @ 756Mhz Core, 1836Mhz Shaders & 1152Mhz Memory.
Intel SSD 40GB
WD Blue 320GB & WD Green 640GB
10 Fans (Approx 40watts altogether)
1 12v DC Pump (XPSC X20 750)

I'm using a CoolerMaster 600watt eXtreme Power (I might look like an idiot :p).
When taking my system to max (as in specs), i add a 460watt PSU to handle my GPU, HDD & fans.
Now I want a Corsair PSU.
I'm not a hardcore gamer but i might buy a GTX460/465/470/480 (I'm damn confused) and of course take it to extremes.

Now where i live in, there's a power breakdown for up to 3 hours everyday so I have a 1000VA i.e 600watt UPS attached.
Its enough but with CM 600watt's 70% efficiency, its not!
So my new Corsair PSU should be really efficient.
My current possible options are http://www.galaxy.pk/main-forms/powersupply-main.htm so that eliminates the new Corsair AX series.
I contacted Galaxy for it but it might take up to two months to arrive.

So whatever PSU you recommend, it shouldn't be just enough - I need some headroom!
So what would you recommend with:
> My current GTS 250 (I might watercool it with MCW-80, take it to extreme and just stick to it)
> GTX 460
> GTX 480
> GTX 460 + GTS 250 (PhysX)
Other than GPU, i don't have any plans for upgrade!

Thanking you in advance.

Best Regards,
Muhammed Umer

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Oyee! Kee bolta tuuu! :D

Oh and thanx for the V8 man!

now me have 2nd thoughts when u said it should perform better, should i give it back to u and get a Corsair H50?!?

oh oh, and if i buy a H50 i wont have to worry bout air circulation THAT much and i wont have to spend extra on a new casing!!!! :D

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
A GTX 480 recommends a minimum of 600Watts, so a 750 should give you the room to play. But now that i look at all the fans, water cooling and high overclock, i'd be more inclined to go with a 850 to give you the room to play. The 480 is seriously power hungry though and if you OC it, it'll go way over the 300Watt threshold, a GTX 460 + GTS 250 will probably consume less power.

Nearly all decent PSU's these days are a minimum of 80% efficient, they may drop below at high temps and on 115V mains, but for the most part exceed the 80% mark, so i wouldn't worry too much.

PlanetMaster

Obliviot
Oyee! Kee bolta tuuu! :D

Oh and thanx for the V8 man!

now me have 2nd thoughts when u said it should perform better, should i give it back to u and get a Corsair H50?!?

oh oh, and if i buy a H50 i wont have to worry bout air circulation THAT much and i wont have to spend extra on a new casing!!!! :D

Now thats up to you.
With a little modification, the V8 can outperform a H50 but H50 is a H50 and you can't improve it than a H50. :D
But for longer runs i would still go with the H50!
Lets just take your V8 and system to the max and then do the hard stuff - THINKING.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Is it a bad time to mention Corsair's H70 cooler then ? Offers a further 10% drop in temps over the H50....

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
oh man, the H70 is $110, and will most definitely cost around Rs.10000 or more! and its bigger and might be difficult to install in my casing! I think i'll go with the H50! :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I am a bit late to this thread, but if it will help any because my setup is very similar to yours:

With those sort of overclocks and a GTX 400 card you will be looking at 500-600W's of power consumption, more if you push the overclocks higher and add a second GPU. Under 100% Folding@home loads my own system is pulling around ~600 watts according to the UPS, but not all loads are created equal. Program like LinX and Furmark combined will push it very close to 700W. For best PSU efficiency and spare headroom, you should not get anything lower than 850W as my own personal opinion.

The Corsair H70 is a peculiar item. At lower heat loads it outperforms the H50, but at higher heat loads (such as your >4GHz Core i7) it performs worse than the H50. Corsair's claims about superior heat dissipation only hold true for lower heat loads. It was an odd result so I had checked several reviews to confirm this. Suffice to say I'd recommend one of the top best air coolers instead of "cheap" liquid coolers that tend to cost even more.