PSOne Games Playable On PSP Through PS3

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When we posted about fresh firmware updates for the PSP and PS3 a few days ago, we failed to mention that PSOne games would now be playable on the PSP through the PS3 and WiFi. That's because, for some reason, Sony didn't deem it necessary to mention it in what was already a somewhat small, yet feature-rich, update.

It is indeed possible, and I tested it out with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Gex: Enter the Gecko. Overall my experiences were fairly good. The connection stayed solid and levels on the PSP loaded just as fast as they would on the actual console.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
sony_psp_slim_official.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
What I can't get used to, though, are two things. First is the fact that you cannot force a full-screen resolution on the PSP... it's stuck at a 4:3 ratio and has bars on each side. The second is the control... I cannot handle these two games like I could on the PSOne. It might not help that neither of the games I tested could utilize the analog stick, though.

Chances are good that this is not the finished product, primarily because Sony hasn't even acknowledged it yet. Since there is no full-screen mode, I am willing to bet it's still being worked on and will have an update in the next firmware. Well, I hope. Though it worked well, I'd still much rather just play the game on the console.