PS3 Versus Xbox 360

NO BS like xbox has better games / ps3 has no games true gaming facts also n my opinion PC OWNZ ALL (espically if i win the one in techgages birthday lol:p)

gml_josea

Obliviot
First of all, it would be a lot better if you used proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Second, "true gaming facts", heh, no one ever will be able to say certain game is better than another, it's all to the person's tastes.

Personally, I would prefer an Xbox 360, it looks nice, it's cheaper than a PS3. But I already own a Wii, and it is good enough.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
PS3 + built in Blu-Ray > X-Box any day.

EDIT: This is, of course, my opinion and should not be taken as flame bait but as a basis to discuss this further.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
PS3 + built in Blu-Ray > X-Box any day.

You should add, "in my opinion" after that, because that's the most loaded response. The Xbox 360 has been around longer than the PS3 and has a far larger software library... so for gamers, it makes it the logical choice.

The fact that the PS3 contains a Blu-ray player shouldn't be weighted into the purchasing decision unless the user specifically is looking for something like that (which the majority aren't).

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Honestly, that was the deciding factor for my purchase. I even got the one with just a Blu-Ray movie included and no games. While the X-Box has a larger library, I always have and always will prefer Sony's approach to gaming. I've owned both PS1 and still have a PS2 and their game libraries were also small for the inital year after launch but they have both built incredible libraries of games. If you ask me, Microsoft NOT getting a Blue-Ray player for the X-Box will hurt future sales. Most people I know who bought either console used the Blue-Ray/HD-DVD options as a deciding factor.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am going to start by saying that I have hated Sony since the first PS1 as I thought the games on my N64 were better games. Then when I could get Resident Evil for my N64 and Dreamcast (best console EVAR!) I knew the N64 was better... in my opinion.

The PSP has changed my opinion completely. I now want a PS3 for a handful of games that are either out or scheduled to come out in the coming months. I own a 360 and love it. It looks nice, has a lot of great games and its simple to use. Stating that one is better than the other is flame bait because their really isn't a simple answer.

I always recommend getting the one that has the most games that you want to play. Blu-Ray is nice but I personally don't watch movies nor do I have a HD TV so I base my preference strictly on what games I can play on either console and for me, up until now, the 360 has been the better choice for me.

Another great thing about both these devices is that a lot of NAS software is starting to allow interoperability between the storage device and the built in media center stuff on the consoles. In a review I am working on, the Synology DS207+ and it's incredibly awesome Disk Station Manager 2.0 software, the NAS will work with my 360 and a PS3 for those that own them. I know you can stream media from a desktop but the fact that you can also do it from a NAS is exciting to me.

That said, I want a PS3... and a Wii while we are on the subject.

Last edited:

slugbug

Coastermaker
I'm not a big Sony fan either, mostly because of the crappy Sony "Virtual Surround Sound" receiver I once owned. It had virtually no bass output, even with the bass on max. Plus they killed HD-DVD which in my opinion was better for consumers :p

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Never owned nor have I played on either of the units and don't really plan to in the future either. I've got nothing afainst either company, I've had good and bad products for both in the past, so it's like everything else, "luck of the draw".

Blu-Ray or whatever type of player that's included in the unit is not a factor to me if I were ever to buy one or the other, I have a DVD player, VHS, surround sound speakers and such, so I don't see the need to pay extra for a feature that wouldn't get used. All it would have to do is load the game and that's it, pretty simple really.

Hehe okay heres my gaming prefernces (note only my opinion)
1.)PC best gaming with mouse and keyboard best performance in many games more or less fpsers:)
2.) PS3 its good for fighting games and racing games which i pefer on a console and sometimes fps but not really ...:rolleyes:
3.) Xbox 360 garbage because ps3 and pc can do everything it cant and garbage reliability.:(
so yup thats my top gameing results hehe.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Hehe okay heres my gaming prefernces (note only my opinion)
1.)PC best gaming with mouse and keyboard best performance in many games more or less fpsers:)
2.) PS3 its good for fighting games and racing games which i pefer on a console and sometimes fps but not really ...:rolleyes:
3.) Xbox 360 garbage because ps3 and pc can do everything it cant and garbage reliability.:(
so yup thats my top gameing results hehe.

Care to elaborate on what the 360 can't do outside of play blu-ray disks? How is the PS3 any better for fighting games and what FPS games does the PS3 have that are better than the 360? I don't understand how the XBOX is "garbage".

It cost's less, has twice as many games, has XBOX live (easily the best console network available) and can sync with a PC. How is it garbage?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Care to elaborate on what the 360 can't do outside of play blu-ray disks? How is the PS3 any better for fighting games and what FPS games does the PS3 have that are better than the 360? I don't understand how the XBOX is "garbage".

It cost's less, has twice as many games, has XBOX live (easily the best console network available) and can sync with a PC. How is it garbage?
AND..... It has surround sound via optical port
And......It plays in HiDef ( also )

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is a topic that will be debated forever... regardless of what console generation we are in. Gaming is no different than any other markets. I like BMW's, some people dislike them. I dislike Volkswagen, other people love them.

In the end, it all depends on what you are looking for. Each platform offers a unique set of games (for the most part), and each console has its own feature-set, so it's impossible to develop a platform that will please everyone.

I am not partial to any of them... I love them all. I love the PC because I like the keyboard/mouse and the fact that I can crank the resolution and enjoy games with unbelievable graphics. I like the PS3 because of the incredibly clean and classy interface and the fact that it works so well with the PSP. I like the Xbox 360 because it has a massive software library... and it's where I spend most of my time, when deciding to play a console game.

The Wii... bores the hell out of me, so I'm not one to voice an opinion there. Though I kind of just did.

Ya true xbox does have awsome fps controls and huge software library xbox live best network but i hate reliability and price (i.e wi-fi adaptor , have to buy batteries and paying yearly for live) i geuss to each is his own:)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The last console I got was the N64, and I have no plans to buy a current console. So instead of giving my opinions about which console is I think is "best", I'll go with saying which I think will come in last place...

I do believe Sony pulled a gambit with their PS3, but it has managed to survive the roughest part of it's life cycle. I think from here on out the PS3 is going to begin to eclipse the Xbox 360, and when all is said and done and the next wave of consoles arrive, the PS3 will have easily beaten the 360. I could be wrong, but this is what I was guessing when they first launched the console. For the last two months the PS3 and PS2 each individually outsold the Xbox 360... if the trend continues, it's probably going to stay that way.

I do like that the PS3 offers Blu Ray... it is the only player in existance that has been future proof that can be upgraded to new BD specifications. In my case I would consider Folding@home a big plus... certainly the folding performance over power consumption is good too.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You said it Kougar. I admit it too... I am impressed by Sony. They released a console that seemed rather lackluster at first, and it seemed to remain that way for the entire first year. It's not until recently that they began to overtake the Xbox 360.

To be honest, I would not be surprised if that is partly attributed to the fact that the Xbox has had such a bad string of bad luck over the past year. Consoles were dying, Xbox Live was having problems remaining stable... it's not going to help anything, that's for sure. Now we have Blu-ray winning the war... that's one extra push that will coerce people towards the PS3.

In the end though, I admit that I'm pleased I own both, because both offer their own set of pros and cons. I'd have an impossible time just owning one. As far as the N64 goes... I can't really list my "favorite" console, per se, but that was definitely up there. I need to haul mine out of the closet one of these days and play through Donkey Kong 64 again (one of my favorite games ever!).

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The original Super Nintendo and Mario Brothers are my all time favorites. I have tried buying that console a dozen times on Ebay but I keep getting outbid, lol.