PS2: Gran Turismo 4

Serry

Obliviot
Great game... its beautiful, fun to play, the car selection is off the charts (700+) but why oh why is it so friggin hard to win anything unless you have an uber pimped out car right from the get go... which it helps a bit there that you can transfer 100k and your a and b liscenses from a gt3 save file but seriously theres like this wall that BAM you just run into in terms of difficulty. I worked my butt off getting my international a and b liscenses but cant put them to good use cuz all those races are so friggin hard. Oh well still a great game and it will drive me to insanity....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
These are the times when I kick my ass for not owning a PS2.

My friends also hardcore into the game. He's working on a 24 hour race at the moment or something. I haven't played it that much myself, but what I did play, was great.

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
The whole GHT series is great! You have to admit that most companies would not be able to sell the same game with the same ideas, just upgraded, 4 times over!

I personaly would do not have a ps2, but I might just pick one up.

leecho7

Partition Master
I've been playing Gran TUrismo ever since the first one came out for the first playstation. I'm not a huge racing/car fan, but I love my Gran Turismos.

Here's a tip for the S license tests. First off, rally trials are probably the easiest trials. For rally trials you have to ease off the break and instead let go of the accelerator to negotiate turns. Break only if you feel if your going to fast or if you feel your car is going out of control.
For other trials take your time to beat them entirely on your first try, even if it means taking your time and failing. The reason why, is so you can at least know the entire course off hand and you know what your working with. For example, if you were 2 seconds away from bronze, you can look at the course and say to yourself 'I need to spend less time on that one turn.' or something like that.

Here's another tip to get some decent money, my friend told me about this and its probably on the internet or something. In the special condition races, the second track has two races that if you beat both, you get some sort of Toyota Rally car that sells for around 250,000. You will need a high hp car though, preferably a hooked up Dodge Viper or the sort.

Serry

Obliviot
lol leecho, my brother told me that exact same tip about the 2nd special conditions event. hehehe apparently you can keep winning over and over again and just keep getting the car. Yeah I learned for the tests the best way to do it is to do it slower so you get the feel of the corners and whatnot, just finish, and then you can see exactly in what sections you need to improve, ghost car and the time comparison really helps in that part.

...also I really learned that the hard way on the 10min lap test for Ia or b, it was the second last test and it was soooo friggin long..... but also the best way to get that course was never ever put the brake on unless you have to and go full throttle through everything possible.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah, another great race is the German Touring Car championship, you get a Mercedes Race car with that which can sell for 750,000. I kept mine though only because if you beef it up (which basically is only 1 turbo upgrade) that car has up to 1030 hp.

The last S license test is that uber long track that takes like 7 minutes or so to complete. You have a decent car and plenty of time to finish (which is like 7 min 50 some seconds for bronze I believe). I literally took my time to finish that test, and ended up getting a silver on my first try. Maybe it was luck, but to me it was the easiest license test ever.

leecho7

Partition Master
I just beat the Gran Turismo championship under the Professional races. Talk about tough stuff. Barely won the championship with the Mercedes Race car with like 1030 hp. Of course I spent a lot of time tweaking my transmission and gear ratios to have a slight edge against the others.

One great aspect of the game is Bspec driving, especially for endurance races. You could set that thing on fast/overtake, and go take a crapper for 5 minutes and you'll most likely be in first place. All you really have to do is pit stop once in a while to re-fuel and change tires.

Last edited: