Project : DST (Dallas Stars Tribute)

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
vinyl1.jpg

Weeded out the graphics last night.
Going out to the garage tonight to prep the other two panels for a white primer. I've got 5 shades of green out in the garage that I need to test and see which one comes out the closest.

Also need to clean up my work area! ;)

More tomorrow I hope!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
water_jet1.jpg

water_jet2.jpg

water_jet3.jpg

The close up of the "T" is how this guy cut out the internal "spacers" for the R and the A's, so that I will have the little letter spacers to be glued in place once the acrylic goes on...

YIPEEE!!!!!!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Applied the Vinyl graphics the other night, have them mounted and finalized... I was debating how to disguise the white vinyl edge of the raised vinyl surface, and had comtemplated just shooting another coat of black over the case, then removing the graphic masking.... then I got inspired!

I am going to shoot either a gold or an emerald green fog around all of the appliques! This will set off the edges of the pictures (as I was worried about the black of the case eating up the black uniforms of the pictured players) allowing the images to have a ghostly/glowing feel to them. I'll likely do green, as the gold would be too difficult to match to the gold in the stitched lettering that I printed, as well as the gold "STARS" that will be back lit.

So, I painted another test piece tonight, letting it dry out and cure for a bit... then I will be going out and test spraying the colors to see which one pops off the black best.

:)

More tomorrow!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Apologies for the lack of updates. Ankle recovery is nearly completed! (YAY!) ... I took my first "long walk" with the dog in 2 months tonight, everything felt good! I've had a hard time standing for long periods and that has cut severly into my ability to work in the garage as I would like...

So tonight, after my walk, I went out and went to work on the feet. 2 nights ago, I Had done some prep work that consisted of using my adjustable hole cutter and cut out 12 1/8" thick, 2" diameter circles. I am using 4 soft rubber hockey puck replicas as feet for the case. 4 rubber feet, 3 discs per foot... the acrylic layers sandwiched together and layered with weld-on, with a screw through the middle going 1/2" down into the rubber puck.

I then burrowed a 3mm wide hole into the layers of acrylic tonight, and built out 4 single 3mm green LED circuits. Eavh puck's acrylic layer will have a green LED lighting up the space between the puck and the case. Green (obviously) for the Dallas Stars. I then has a 2" silicone "washer" that is going to lie between the bottom of the case and the tops of these LED's... hoping that this will absorb a bit of the shock of movement, as well as setup an insulating layer electrically between the steel of the case and the 5v LED lines that will be running under the case to a central point.

I lit them all up and they look great! Took some pics but I am a bit too tired to crop and post... this case must be done by Nov. 15th. Obviously sooner, the better. so be on the look out for a blast of updates out of me this comming week and a half! Might just go ahead and bring it down to the Mabry Intel/Dell LAN event and try to get some work on it done there. Depends on how much room I have in the vehicle.... ANYWAYS...

more to come!
;)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
As always, very excited to hear any news of the case. We are all looking forward to the final post with all the pretty pictures in it.

BTW, how is that monitor treating you? :D

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Very well! However I needed that monitor like I need another hole in my head. I have sold it to a graphic designer, and I will be using the money to go towards some system upgrades both on my machine, and my kids machines.

I also plan on purchasing more painting and airbrushing gear so that after I get through with this rig and the official Stars rig... I can focus on airbrushing and training on technique.

That will be a good break for a few months to just work on painting technique! ;)

Thanks for the supportive comments!

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Ok... so I found a replica hockey puck that is made out of soft rubbe, and I bought 4 of them. drilled a hole in the center and put a screw into it:
feet1.jpg

I then got really tired of my drill press! ;) I cut out 12 identical holes out of acrylic:
feet2.jpg

sandwiched 3 layers of them together (because it was the only clear acrylic I had), glued them with weld-on:
feet3.jpg

used my rotary tool's "multi bit and bored out a single hole in each to embed a green LED:
feet4.jpg

feet5.jpg

and mounted them to the bottom of the case:
feet7.jpg

feet8.jpg

feet9.jpg

feet10.jpg

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I plan on routing all of the LED wires to 4 RCA jacks that will be mounted in the bottom bracket. Center is power, outter is ground... should work like a champ! 4 power lines coming out from under the machine, terminating in to 4 RCA jacks, that will then feed into 4 RCA plug receptacles mounted in the bottom bay... something like this:
feetpower11.jpg

Also, here was the last pic I took before a botched clearcoat screwed up the finish.... I will now likely need to mask over the graphics, scuff the paint, and re-shoot the black again to get it the proper ammount of gloss... the Clearcoat just wrecked the finish due to himidity increasing the night I shot it...
side_graphic.jpg

And this is the top piece:
top2.jpg

Jakal

Tech Monkey
As always man, awesome work. Real creative with those pucks! I like that. Your recovery is the most important thing. I hope everything turns out alright. Both with the project, and your ankle. I've had some ankle problems myself, and know how much of a pain it can be.

Looks like you've done an awesome job so far. We're all believing in you, and trust that things will turn out great!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
I see you used a fly-cutter when cutting out the acrylic disks. This is smart. When I had to cut some circles from acrylic for a recent class project, I used the typical hole saw (as one would use with wood) and had trouble with the acrylic melting around the saw blade, and the drill motor stalling at the end of the cut. For a little while, I was worried I would lose the bit and blade assembly to the acrylic's hold, but I managed to break it free.

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I see you used a fly-cutter when cutting out the acrylic disks. This is smart. When I had to cut some circles from acrylic for a recent class project, I used the typical hole saw (as one would use with wood) and had trouble with the acrylic melting around the saw blade, and the drill motor stalling at the end of the cut. For a little while, I was worried I would lose the bit and blade assembly to the acrylic's hold, but I managed to break it free.

I ran into the same issue on my initial attempt! I realized after the first attempt that a hole saw just "wouldn't cut it" *chuckle*

Thanks guys!

Rob... cool thing about the feet is that since they are a soft rubber... no vibration to the ground! ;) I also put a wide, black rubber washer/spacer between the top of the LED's and the bottom of the case. "Shock absorbers"... in two ways! (electical insulation and physical shock).

:)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Brilliant idea for the feet of the case. The green glow is a great touch as well. Still looking forward to the end result. It's almost there.

Good to hear about the ankle recovery too!