Problem With USB

Zaza

Obliviot
Hi. I bought an iPod last year and have been using it with it's USB connecter perfectly. With my iPod I bought a JBL OnStage, which is a dock for the iPod that can also act as a speaker. In the back, the OnStage has a port like the port on the bottom of the iPod as to allow you to hook your iPod to your computer through the Onstage. Well, I hooked it up and kept getting the USB Device Not Recognized error message. After hooking the USB wire to different ports, the connection finally went through. Well, I wanted to hook the USB in the back to minimize the wires in the front of my computer. I bought a USB extender so that the wire could reach the back of my computer and hooked it in. Again I got the error message. I've tried every USB port on my computer to no avail. I've rebooted my computer, unplugged my Onstage and iPod, updated XP, and blown into the sockets. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You may want to try turning the pc on with the device plugged in. That will give it an irq through the bios and windows should detect a usb device on startup. Make sure to have the JBL On Stage "On", up and running and possibly playing a song as windows loads. This will create an active connection betweent the two. I've went to the JBL site and they don't have any drivers. It's plug and play obviously, but I was hoping that there would be more info. You may look for some updated usb drivers for your motherboard. Just a guess. I've had the same thing happen with my printer, but as soon as I turned it on windows recognized it and wanted to install. I got the same message when swapping usb ports, yet it worked fine once turned on. Hope you can find a solution. Good luck!

Your iPod works fine, plugging it in directly, I assume. JBL gives absolutely no support for this thing (no surprise there), and the owner's manual is equally useless.

First question would be is your computer USB 2.0 or 1.1? It's possible that your iPod works fine by itself, but the JBL unit requires USB 2.0 to work properly. Older iPods worked fine on 1.1 USB buses, but newer ones (and associated hardware) require USB 2.0. If your motherboard supports USB 2.0 (and it'll only be the rear ports, not the front) make sure that it's enabled in your BIOS.

Next, check your device manager, to see if your iPod is recognized, and if there's any errors there. It should be listed under USB Devices.

You may have to uninstall your iPod (not sure how that works, honestly). Windows ties the USB port you originally used to install the hardware TO the hardware, which is why, when you switch USB ports, Windows "installs" the hardware again. It's possible that Apple's DRM protection on your iPod is preventing a connection due to too many attempts on different USB ports.

The other things I would have thought of immediately is a possible bad OnStage unit. Generally, if something doesn't work properly after a few tries, it's either a broken unit, or an incompatibility with your system.

Zaza

Obliviot
My USB ports support 2.0 plugs, so it's unlikely that the problem is that. My iPod is recognized by itself, but through the On Stage nothing is recognized.

spiffyp

Obliviot
Here's a question.

How long is the extender? And how long is the original cable that you're using with the extender?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I doubt there would be a big enough power drain by the cords, if that's where you're headed. The cables nowadays don't provide enough resistance to keep transmissions from being dropped. It's definitely a driver assignment problem within windws. Considering the ipod is being recognized and the onstage isn't. I've read a couple articles saying that the On Stage units are shorting out causing the speakers to blow. I'm wondering if there's more than that happening with yours.

Possible........USB cable length only really matters if the unit plugged into it is drawing power off of it as well, like a webcam or some such. The OnStage, from what I can see, uses a seperate power adapter, so that's not the issue.

The speakers themselves shouldn't be the problem. As far as I can tell from the manual, he has to plug a cable from the headphone jack into the OnStage, the USB port is merely a pass-through for uploading songs and such. I would suspect a bad connctor for the pass-through plug, myself.

Zaza

Obliviot
spiffyp said:
Here's a question.

How long is the extender? And how long is the original cable that you're using with the extender?

The extender is six feet. The original is about three and a half feet.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Well you could try using the original cable, without the extender, just to see if that fixes it. I really don't think that's the problem, unless one of the cables is bad.

The USB 1.0 Spec contains a cable length limit of 5 meters, a cable delay spec of 30ns and a supply voltage minimum at any USB socket of 4.4 volts.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Jakal said:
Well you could try using the original cable, without the extender, just to see if that fixes it. I really don't think that's the problem, unless one of the cables is bad.

The USB 1.0 Spec contains a cable length limit of 5 meters, a cable delay spec of 30ns and a supply voltage minimum at any USB socket of 4.4 volts.
Or having another connector inline could be part of the problem, some are just not very well made (you wouldn't think it would be that hard to produce a quality USB cable, they just aren't that complex:( )

Jakal said:

That's 15 feet, he's only got 9.5 feet of cable. Well under the spec, but that doesn't apply anyway. iPods are USB 2.0. I'm still leaning toward the JBL unit being bad.