problem w/bios POST on cold computer....

msongs

Obliviot
hello,

built a new pc and when the computer has sat a long time it takes minutes to POST and then boot. just sits there...the speaker beeps the power problem code. once the computer is up n running, one can power off and reboot multiple times with no problems, POSTS right up. had the power supply tested and it is fine. problem occurs even when nothing is connected except the PSU and the video card (have to have the vid card to see if it is working at all of course as there is no onboard video.)

we reseated the CPU/heat sink. the fan seems to run slow but perhaps that is normal.

what we don't get is why the problem only occurs on a cold start and not on every startup.

ideas?

Msongs
Riverside CA USA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not sure if I understand the problem. Is it just that the PC boots up slow on the initial boot after it's been sitting for a while? If so, it's doubtful it's a big issue, but I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS for your board first, and then we could go from there.

msongs

Obliviot
yes it boots up really slow.........

just sits there for 3 to 6 minutes before it posts and then boots...when COLD only. once it boots up it will shutdown/reboot immediately over and over if one wants it to.

PSU checked out ok even tho the 12v bios reading was 11.732, not 12v.

there are 2 unplugged plugs from the PSU (a 4 pin but there is no place on the mobo for it - the 24 pin and 8 are plugged in, and a tiny little one that seems to be a fan pin but we don't know where that goes).

tried reseating the CPU, reinstalling the mobo software, same result.

Msongs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To be honest, this doesn't sound like a PSU issue, but something else, and probably small. Have you made certain that all of the connections to the motherboard are plugged in their correct spots, and also that they are pushed in all of the way? When you cold boot, does anything show up on the screen, or does it just remain blank?

It really sounds like a very simple issue to me... definitely hardware-related, but nothing that should result in an RMA. I'd still update to the latest BIOS though... first and foremost.

The 4-pin connector on the PSU is for motherboards that don't have an 8-pin one available (very budget boards), so you're fine to leave it alone.

msongs

Obliviot
we give up on this, off to the repair shop.

tried everything we can think of on this issue, replaced the PSU, replaced the heatsink/fan...still nothing but 7 minutes of beeping before it will POST.

so we are gonna take this $1300 worth of newegg junk into the local repair shop and see if they can fix it.

it's been a valuable experience though. We learned never to buy from Newegg.

better to pay more and buy locally at least there is no shipping cost and one can talk with a real person.

building a home computer is not the breeze it's claimed to be on multiple web sites. would have been better off to buy something at retail.

thanks for the help though. Unlike newegg, you made no money off us and still helped.

Msongs

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Msongs, did you update the BIOS like Rob mentioned? If this is a new board it might be the problem. Also it would help if you can list all of the hardware specs... again if this is an X58 board then it needs a BIOS upgrade. Some X58 boards like Foxconn are having PSU incompatibility problems.