Pls. Recommend a MOBO for me..

Good day to all members and hi! I've been having a problem which motherboard to choose. First of all, i have already bought a processor which is Intel's E6600; and a pair of Mushkin memory DDR2 Tuner Series HP DUAL 2GB DDR800, also planning to buy a enermax liberty 620watts PSU and A Palit Geforce 7950GT Video Card.

Basically, "I want a motherboard that has a very stable capacitors and is good in overclocking, But i don't need SLI configuration because i will be using (1) videocard the whole time". Besides if i want dual Video card in my motherboard i can buy a 7950GX2 which utilizes only (1) PCI-E slot in a motherboard but it's (2) Videocard running already.Also, SLI or Crossfire enabled motherboard is really expensive than a single PCI-E slot motherboard.

so most importantly, I just want a recommendation for a motherboard that is rigidly tested in its overclocking capability and has a proven good capacitors for a more a stable power distribution inside.Thank you very much

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You've kinda found yourself in a catch 22 there Sleepless.
I just want a recommendation for a motherboard that is rigidly tested in its overclocking capability
If maximum overclock of the cpu is what you want, then a performance motherboard is the answer. A board like that will either have SLi or Crossfire configurations.

It seems you've made the best choice for an overclocking chip though. The forums I read up on find the E6600 the best overclocker, with one topping out at 4.2Ghz. The motherboard? The ASUS Striker Extreme. If that's the kind of performance you're looking for then be willing to shell out about $420 US at Newegg.

If you're just looking for a stable, strong motherboard the you may want to look into the Asus P5B. There's been a recent bios update that unlocks the multiplier on SOME Conroe chips. Those are also at the top in Conroe overclocks. The others being the Gigabyte 965P-DS3, Evga 680i, the Asus line of P5Ws, and the Abit AW9D-Max.

The P5B Deluxe runs about $180, P5W Deluxe $220, Gigabyte 965P-DS3 $150, Evga 680i $250, Abit AW9D-Max $210. All these prices rounded up and found on Newegg.

I found the overclocking chart on [H]. You can see the P5W has a large presence in the top E6600 overclocks. While the Striker takes top honors.

I hope this helps your decision, or even broadens the horizon. If you need any help just come back!

Last edited:
You've kinda found yourself in a catch 22 there Sleepless.
I just want a recommendation for a motherboard that is rigidly tested in its overclocking capability
If maximum overclock of the cpu is what you want, then a performance motherboard is the answer. A board like that will either have SLi or Crossfire configurations.

It seems you've made the best choice for an overclocking chip though. The forums I read up on find the E6600 the best overclocker, with one topping out at 4.2Ghz. The motherboard? The ASUS Striker Extreme. If that's the kind of performance you're looking for then be willing to shell out about $420 US at Newegg.

If you're just looking for a stable, strong motherboard the you may want to look into the Asus P5B. There's been a recent bios update that unlocks the multiplier on SOME Conroe chips. Those are also at the top in Conroe overclocks. The others being the Gigabyte 965P-DS3, Evga 680i, the Asus line of P5Ws, and the Abit AW9D-Max.

The P5B Deluxe runs about $180, P5W Deluxe $220, Gigabyte 965P-DS3 $150, Evga 680i $250, Abit AW9D-Max $210. All these prices rounded up and found on Newegg.

I found the overclocking chart on [H]. You can see the P5W has a large presence in the top E6600 overclocks. While the Striker takes top honors.

I hope this helps your decision, or even broadens the horizon. If you need any help just come back!

Well put sir jakal and thank you very much! actually after a couple of days of research i have narrowed my selection into just five mobos:

Asus P5B Deluxe = Very good overclocking capability but currently is out or limited stocks in our country right now. really, don't know why..
Asus P5W DH Deluxe = slightly upped priced as you mentioned above, but the features is realy excellent and the overclocking capability is not that bad, in fact, in my personal view its already great. ^_^
Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 = Same as the P5W but doesn't have the extensive features like the latter. But it is built in an all solid capacitor.
DFI infinity conroe 965X/G = of course its DFI, my favorite board during the AMD haydays, so iam also considering this one. ^_~
Abit AW9D-Max = this one has one problem in memory which downgrades DDR800 into DDR67, but if i just have the confidence and knowledge on how to flash bios it should be solved.

ASUS Striker Extreme = This is the ultimate choice of course sir, but i have considered that the price is also "EXTREME" that may strike a weak heart or "wallet" like mine. LOL

Last edited:

Jakal

Tech Monkey
How could I have forgotten DFI's board?? :confused:

Definitely keep the 975X/G on you list. Newegg has the 975X LGA at about $170. As Rob pointed out in the review, the stock bios has almost no overclocking potential. It won't be until you can update to a better one will you be able to reach a good oc.

When DFI-Street gets back up you can expect a whole ton of support and help if you find the DFI board is your choice. As of right now there's been a "falling out" between DFI and DFI-Street. We can hope the forum will be back up and running smoothly by the end of next week.

Verse914

Obliviot
Im running the P5W DH Deluxe and its overclocks great. Just got a E6600 and I'm running at 3.5GHz @48 degrees idle. I should be able to get to 3.6GHz without any problems, but just making sure 3.5 is stable first. Im also looking into better cooling (Im currently running a ThermalTake Big Typhoon which is doing a great job).

I heard that the P5B Deluxe is a great board for the E6600 as well.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
The P5W DH Deluxe is a great board, however you'll get problems if you go over 425 FSB without a vdroop mod. If you want 4GHz or higher.. go with the P5B or a P965 or 680i chipset board :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Even the P5N-E SLI is a good budget board... $150 and it can hit 500FSB for a joke. It's just too bad it's horrible with RAM.

Babrbarossa

Obliviot
Wow-- there's a real niche open right now for some company to swoop in with a new board that doesn't have any of these quirks, and supports high fsb and memory speed. It's amazing that selecting a motherboard these days is a matter of deciding which bugs, glitches or foibles you can live with- and even then it's a crap-shoot.

by the way (and speaking of foibles) my vote is for the evga 680i- mine works great...so far. but they have good support.

I have my e6400 set at 3.4Ghz with a 20 dollar air cooler, and can score over 10K with a 8800gts on 3dmark 06

oops-- just noticed the mid-january date on this thread

spiltmilk

Obliviot
Supermicro H8DA3-2
or
ASUS KFN32-d
or
TYAN S2985 RF
w/ Dual 8800 GTX
w/ ASUS Xonar D2X PCIe sound card
w/ ASUS Physics card
Silverstone TJ-07 case
Silverston OP1000 PSU
COMPLETE PWNAGE GAMER/WEBSERVER
AKA A PROFFESIONAL

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
How could I have forgotten DFI's board?? :confused:

Definitely keep the 975X/G on you list. Newegg has the 975X LGA at about $170. As Rob pointed out in the review, the stock bios has almost no overclocking potential. It won't be until you can update to a better one will you be able to reach a good oc.

When DFI-Street gets back up you can expect a whole ton of support and help if you find the DFI board is your choice. As of right now there's been a "falling out" between DFI and DFI-Street. We can hope the forum will be back up and running smoothly by the end of next week.

DFI's website is disappointing to say the least. The level of help and useful tips is almost nonexistent. I would not hold my breath that this will improve any time soon.