Playstation 3..... Anyone excited?

Word.

E.M.I.
Hey guys, Just sitting here wondering if i should buy the ps3 when it first comes out...there looks to be some sweet ass games for it also .i guess its like "699" or something, and there is going to be problems like with the 360...

So any comments or anything would be good.... Hopefully people don't get trampled over this system..... like the 360 .. That was horrible....

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Knowing what sony likes to do with launches (have 100 mil bugs), wait atleast a good month or two. I mean does anyone remember the psp pixel problems? How about how the first 4 series of the ps2 are still on recall for scratching discs? (I have one and no i dont have the reciept to get it replaced. Im screwed.) Or how about the orig PS with their faulty lasers?

Im going to wait a good month-3 months before i consider it seriously. Other than that... OMG THE GRAPHIX!

leecho7

Partition Master
Unless you already reserved your PS3 the day gamestores started accepting reservations, you're gonna be waiting a while for a PS3. I think the US is only getting 400,000 during launch, and wont expect to see anymore until after the holiday season. However, I think I just pulled that statistic out of my arse while trying to remember what I read somewhere in some place.

But yeah, wait for a bit for the PS3. Instead, get yourself a Nintendo Wii!
Or get yourself a 360 and buy Dead Rising. That game is off the hook.

Word.

E.M.I.
Yeah, I guess ill be waiting then. Who wants a system thats full of bugs or scratches the $80 games...... Not me lol.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I played an old version of Smash bros today at work, it was my first time.
While i dont like the controller layout, it was still a blast. I think I may be going with the Wii for financial reasons, but i doubt I will sorry about it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd say screw PS3 right now... it's just such a sketchy console. Sony has not exactly done anything to encourage anyone to run out any buy one. It seems every other day there is some random problem.

Them being smarmy bastards towards Nintendo and Microsoft doesn't exactly make me want to jump on it either. They should fix their own shit first before bashing other companies who are actually keeping people hyped.

leecho7

Partition Master
Well compared to Microsoft's 360 release, there is very little advertising going on in regards to the Wii and PS3. I think this is a smart move. Nintendo and Sony definately has the hype of gamers who know about whats going on. They also know that they will definately not be able to meet the demands of the consumer. Instead of spending millions of dollars on advertising, they could use that money to help them recover from the net loss from producing and selling these systems (I'm looking at you Sony). Since they already generated enough hype with the gaming community, there really is no need to spend money on lots of advertising. Of course, this is just my stupid ramble of theories and concepts that are based on nothing but my dumb arsed observations while being drugged out on horse tranquilizers mixed with Red Bull.

As to the PS3 being overpriced, I don't necessarily agree with people saying the PS3 is overpriced. The PS3 is an amazing machine (lets just hope they come with software that utilizes its potential), in fact Sony will be loosing money for each system produced and sold.
The way I see it
Xbo360 Premium + HDDVD adapter =$600 US
PS3 Premium (that is a more powerful machine, with built in HDdvd and bluray) = $600 US

But we all know it isn't necessarily the power of the machine that matters, but how that power is utilized. I think each console has its own strength and weaknesses. I personally think that each console will be successful in some way.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
" Xbo360 Premium + HDDVD adapter =$600 US
PS3 Premium (that is a more powerful machine, with built in HDdvd and bluray) = $600 US"

Well the thing is... the HD-DVD is not required by the Xbox, while it is for the PS3. It's not like BluRay or HD-DVD movies have exactly caught on yet, so what's the point? Anyone who is buying a PS3 is essentially paying an extra $200 for a drive they will likely never use. Sure, the games use it... but it doesn't matter to people whether it's on a DVD or BR or HD-DVD, really.

The drives prove to be an even bigger waste for those people who don't have a high-definition TV. I'd assume that is someone purchases a $600 console, they probably have one, but people are not exactly jumping up in the air at the chance to buy a new $2K TV.

As for a more powerful system, it's not necessarily. They both have their pluses and even out the same. I am not on either side... I plan on getting both consoles eventually, but the fact is that both systems have equal power and it's up to the software to take over now.

There was an interview the other day, although I can't recall where, from a game developer who was comparing both leading consoles. He mentioned that you would have to be an idiot to code a game for the PS3 and not the Xbox, because the PS3 is a huge pain in the ass. Sony does not write good game dev SDK's, so it's a true chore for companies who want to code specifically for that system.

That's one reason I think more game companies will slide over to the Xbox's side of the fence. Microsoft knows how to write great development software... just take a look at their Visual Studio... it's amazing.

Anyways, I am not one to jump to conclusions, but I think in the Xbox/PS3 battle, the Xbox will come out on top. PS3 will have to deliver some amazing exclusive software to have people shell out the $600, or round up enough idiots (like me) who will buy the system irregardless.

leecho7

Partition Master
I'm not too sure if Xbox will top out PS3. Considering that the Asian market isn't too friendly with the Xbox (consumer wise, although that is slowly changing). PS3 will always have a good deal of support from Japanese and other Asian developers. Even with the 600 dollar price tag, pre-orders sold out the day EBGames/Gamestop started taking pre-orders. This could mean that there are far too few PS3's being shipped to America, or it could mean that people are actually willing to spend the money for a PS3.

I know that with the 360, you have a choice if you want HD-DVD capabilities or not compared to the PS3's already built in. I'm just saying the price for a PS3 is not as bad as everyone is proclaiming it to be. Many of us PC gamers spend thousands of bucks to buy hardware that could play top of the line games. If you wanted to get an Xbox360 that equaled the PS3, you would be spending the same amount of money.

As for the console wars, I don't really see it as a console war. Each system has its own strengths and weaknesses. Like I said in my previous post (along with Robster's), you can have a powerful machine, but it won't be successful unless that power is utilized.

However, my predictions are... the Nokia N-Gage is gonna dominate all! They're making a come back baby!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I like the ps3 fpr power. And if i ever want to go buy a HD-dvd player I will be going and picking up a ps3. Is HD-dvd going to catch on? Considering Sony owns how much of the movie making industry these days? Oh and rob, weve discussed before that there are ALOT of hd titles these days. I take it you still havent gone to look.

As of right now: The only Title that I am looking forward to is Armored Core 4.

Im a HUGE fan of that series.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One plus to PS3:

Since the console uses a 2.5" hard drive, it's easily upgradable by anyone. The funny thing is, Sony allows it and even encourages it. So if the 20GB or 60GB is too small for you, you can just buy a 100GB or 200GB Toshiba for $150 and $240 respectively. Sounds like a winner .

madmat

Soup Nazi
I went in Wal*Mart yesterday morning and saw people in sleeping bags and lawn chairs camping (literally) out in shoes. Shoes is right next to electronics BTW. I asked an employee why people were camping out in shoes and he told me they were there for the PS3 release. There was one that had been there 3 days! That's just insane! And Wal*Mart is allowing these people to camp out inside the store! If it were me I'd say no way and let everyone have an equal chance at them.